13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2013 10:33 PM by pkaiser

PI Web Part Connections: Child AF Elements

aabrodsky

We have an Asset Hierarchy, where pieces of equipment have sub-elements with their attributes.

For example:

\Wells\Well1\THP|Pressure

Whereas THP is a child element to the Well. And Pressure is an Attribute of the element THP.

And say we have a PI Trend, which should show several parameters of a well and should be context-connected with PI TreeView.

User should be able to choose a well and see on the trend THP|Pressure, CHP|Pressure, etc.

I haven't been able to figure out how to establish such a connection adding child-elements. For each trace in PI Trend we can specify an Attribute Name and Attribute Context, which can be connected to PI TreeView.

So in our case, Attribute Context is Element Path to the well, \Wells\Well1

Attribute Name is Value

And I couldn't find a way to add a reference to child element THP into that configuration.

Hope I managed to explain this understandable

• Re: PI Web Part Connections: Child AF Elements
          Ahmad Fattahi

Alex,

You should be able to define a root node and default element for a Treeview WebPart by configuring it. There is a short training video on the topic. Please go to the Training tab on vCampus > On Demand computer based training and search for "Treeview AF". The first result should be the video we are looking for. the title of the video is:

"PI Clients: Display Element-Relative Data in PI WebParts"

Hope it helps!

pkaiser

When it comes to displaying Attributes in the Trend, I don't think we can do what you're asking. In the Trend you pick an Attribute that is expected to be an immediate child of the object whose path is passed in -- you can't have any path delimiters like backslashes or vertical bars in the object added to the trend. So you can't add "THP|Pressure" to the Trend and then pass in "\\Wells\Well1". You can add "Pressure" to the Trend and then pass in "\\Wells\Well1\THP"

aabrodsky

Thank you Paul,

It seems I managed to explain!

Is it something that is possible to include in the next release?

Do you have any idea of workaround for that? Let me explain more precisely what we are trying to achieve.

We have an equipment-centric displays, where the only context we have is the Object, i.e. Well1, Separator27, etc.

And we need to place a couple of trends and other web parts, which would display several attributes from Equipment's child objects, i.e. THP|Pressure, etc..

Should we use any intermediate custom web-part, like the one which was shown on the UC2011 (in the MURA presentation with ESRI map interaction). I remember there was a custom web-part, which did the job of preparing these contexts... Do you know the details of that?

Thanks,

Alex Brodskiy

pkaiser

You can create a relational dataset using PI OLEDB that has four parameters: start time, end time, first half of path, second half of path. Then you can add the proper column from that dataset to the trend, set the second half of the path in the toolpane, and connect the first half to PI TreeView.

aabrodsky

Wow, that sounds like a good plan, thanks a lot!

Can you please explain how to add a column from a dataset to a trend or is there any manual/white paper available for that? I was looking for such capability the other day and thought it is not possible to show data from an SQL or PI OLEDB on the trend. Standard dialogue window only allows selection of attributes from AF or tags from PI, or did I miss something there?

Paul Kaiser

set the second half of the path in the toolpane, and connect the first half to PI TreeView.

I'm not sure I understand that. I will play around that tomorrow, but if you could give some more details or examples, would be great!

Thank you,

Alex Brodskiy

pkaiser

I should have said "PI OLEDB Enterprise" instead of just "PI OLEDB".

From the download area on our tech support site, look at the User Manuals available for download with the PI WebParts product. The list should include the PI Data Services Administrator Guide, which has instructions for creating relational data sources and datasets. You'll need to create a data source based on PI OLEDB Enterprise (which you will have to license & install for your SharePoint server).

Once you have the data source, you'll need to create the dataset. The PI OLEDB Enterprise User Guide has sample queries for retrieving attribute data. You'll need to write a query that has four placeholders: start time, end time, first half of the attribute path, and second half of the attribute path.

Once you have this query working, refer to the PI WebParts User Guide for instructions on adding data items to a web part, where those data items come from a relational dataset.

Bannikov

Paul Kaiser

you can't have any path delimiters like backslashes or vertical bars in the object added to the trend

Dear Paul,

I've similar (but not the same) issue. Let me explain it.

PI TreeView provides Element path, and we tried to show their Attributes on trend. But we tried to show not only root attributes, but child attributes too. We failed. After reading this topic I've understood why. Can you please confirm that child attributes aren't supported currently like child elements? Thank you!

bbernard

Hello Sergey,

Since PI WebParts cannot be configured with relative paths to attributes, there is no way to configure the PI Trend web part to show either of the following:

1. Attributes of child elements below the element path provided in a web part connection.

2. Attributes that are children of a root level attribute for the element path provided in a web part connection.

We have enhancement requests to support both of these use cases, but there are currenlty no plans to address these.  The limitations exist in the current release version (PI WebParts 2010 R2) and in the upcoming PI WebParts 2013.

JohnFors

Hello Bill,

A newbie on this site but after reading the documentation I thought that the child attributes would be available if the "Reference Type:" was a "Composition"

pkaiser

I guess the documentation has misled you. If you can point us to the portion that gave you this impression, maybe we can revise it to clarify. As far as built-in PI WebParts functionality is concerned, what matters is the path to the Attribute. The reference type doesn't matter. The only Attributes that PI WebParts can deal with inherently are those that are immediate children of the provided parent Element. However, you can use PI OLEDB Enterprise to work around this as described earlier in this thread.