8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2011 9:26 PM by Lonnie Bowling

Questions - Web Service Endpoint Feature

Lonnie Bowling

After seeing the new Notifications 2010 R2 at the UC, I have renewed interest in extending it.  I have a few questions.  First take a look at the below screen shot, which is from the current version of PI Notifications and is used to configure a webservice endpoint:

6523.4_2D00_5_2D00_2011-4_2D00_44_2D00_12-PM.png

I plan on creating a web service, but before I do that, what "Values" are available in the mapping area?  I can't find this called out in the documentation.

The next question is about "on close" check box.  My understanding is that if this is checked, a second notification will be sent when the notification clears, is this correct?

Moving on, next question.. Is it possible to have my web service connect back to the notification service to acknowledge a notification? Or do I have to use the AF/AN SDK to make that happen?

Finally, my last question is will any of this functionality change with the new release?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the new release soon!? :)

Lonnie

• Re: Questions - Web Service Endpoint Feature
          hanyong

Hi Lonnie, 

It was nice to see you over at the UC last week. I don't have the answers to all your questions, but here's what I know.

Lonnie Bowling

I plan on creating a web service, but before I do that, what "Values" are available in the mapping area?  I can't find this called out in the documentation.

As far as I know, you can input a default value for these parameters when configuring a Web Service delivery endpoint. And When you configure this delivery endpoint as the  subscriber for a specific notification instances, you can configure to pass in standard notification contents like Name, start time and end time of the notifications as well as some of your defined contents like attribute and constant values to the web service parameters.

Lonnie Bowling

The next question is about "on close" check box.  My understanding is that if this is checked, a second notification will be sent when the notification clears, is this correct?

Yes, this is correct.

Beth McNeill

Hey Lonnie,

Great to hear that you are excited about Notifications again! Looks like your first 2 questions were answered, so I will help out with the last 2.

Lonnie Bowling

Moving on, next question.. Is it possible to have my web service connect back to the notification service to acknowledge a notification? Or do I have to use the AF/AN SDK to make that happen?

We do not have a web service to acknowledge or comment on notifications, so you will have to use the ANSDK to do so. I would recommend using this call

ANAcknowledgmentReturnStatus AcknowledgeSubscription(AFNotification notification, int instanceID, Guid contactID, string comment)

Lonnie Bowling

Finally, my last question is will any of this functionality change with the new release?
            Nope... none of this is changing.

Looking forward to getting this new release into your hands!

-Beth McNeill

Lonnie Bowling

Thanks for the answers Han and Beth, that helps a lot.  A follow-up to what Han said about the Value field for the web parameter.  Here is the dialog that comes up:

1803.4_2D00_12_2D00_2011-3_2D00_02_2D00_01-PM.png

I'm still not clear abut all the values that I can use for populating this field.  Can someone post a list for me?

Thanks,

Lonnie

moklingfung

Hi Lonnie:

I think the allowable value to the web parameter will depend on the web service that you are trying to use. Notification webservice plugin can only get the list of parameters and their data type from the web service. The meaning of the parameters are specific to the webservice itself.

Ling

Lonnie Bowling

Thanks for the response Ling.  I tried just subscribing to a notification and found the list I was looking for,  here it is:

7823.note1.png

I see the the values I can send to the service, which was one of my initial questions.  Now that I see this dialog box, I have a follow question (for Beth or Glenn).

How is the new custom messaging going to tie into this feature?  I really need to send a lot more information about the notification that what I see in the box above.  If I remember the demo correctly, it seemed that the new message formating is available to all consumers.  Hopefully that is the case for this endpoint, as I have a requirement to show the values that are being monitored and what triggered the notification.

Any idea when the new release will be ready?  I really want to get some testing going!

Thanks,

Lonnie