9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2011 7:35 PM by ldieffenbach

Vcampus Access to PI Coresight

wpurrer

I have seen the praesentation from PI Coresight

http://www.osisoft.com/Templates/item-abstract.aspx?id=6754&type=events&cid=1673&year=2011&industry=All&event=-1

Will the beta also be aviable through vcampus in summer ?

• Re: Vcampus Access to PI Coresight

The answer I got during the UC was "no".

The first versions won't have an extensibility model so it doesn't fit under the vCampus umbrella.  Also, they want to get the 1st version out there so it is a closed beta to speed things along a bit.

[Shouts]Laurie....[/Shouts]

wpurrer

I thought that on the UC ... PT1468_OSIsoft_Fattahi_OSIsoft_vCampus there was a page "be the first to know".

andreas

Wolfgang,

Indeed pre-release versions like CTPs, Betas, RCs, etc. are generally available at vCampus first. So you guys can familiarize yourself with the software prior to getting that into production .

However, the final decision is made by the product managers in what form they publish the pre-releases. I will let the Product Manager for PI Coresight speak up on this.

Ahmad Fattahi

We will have a vCampus-exclusive webinar on PI CoreSight soon (most likely on June 1) by the technical and PM team working on PI CoreSight. The official announcement and registration will be announced shortly; stay tuned

jbaier

Hi, this is John Baier, Director of Product Management and acting PM for PI Coresight.   First, let me say that although we won't be exposing a plug-in or extensibility model in the first release of PI Coresight, we definitely want vCampus members to participate in the PI Coresight beta this summer.   That said, the PI Coresight beta will not be an open Beta, we want to limit the number of Beta installations so that we can support them properly, understand the feedback we're getting, and incorporate as much of that feedback as possible.   We also want to make sure that we get the product to a shipping state as soon as possible, and supporting beta sites takes time away from our development team.   The bottom line is that we want lots of great feedback on PI Coresight, it just has to be a balanced approach.

With regards to vCampus members pariticipating, we will do everything we can to include as many of you as we can, we definitely value the quality feedback we get from the vCampus community.   I will talk more about the beta process on the June 1 webinar.   In the meantime, I'm happy to participate in discussions regarding PI Coresight on vCampus.

thanks,

John Baier 

mhalhead

John Baier

although we won't be exposing a plug-in or extensibility model in the first release of PI Coresight

Are there plans to expose a programmatic interface in future releases?

I know that this is a little of topic but hey I do that.

jbaier

Yes, we are planning on supporting a programmatic model to PI Coresight someday, just not in the first release.   We have been thinking about how to allow partners and SIs to add their own visualizations into PI Coresight and make use of the services that are part of the PI Coresight application server.   There may also be some good use cases around "scripting" PI Coresight that make sense, but I think we really want to consider this carefully before we support this in the product.   I am very interested in the use cases that are driving vCampus members towards a programmatic model, so please share what you would hope to use this for.

thanks,

John

wpurrer

* we have some special logic that on doubleclick on the trend a detailview with data from multiple sources (even pictures appear)

* we have an screen where the tag configuration is created by multiple combo boxes...

* a couple of plugins for features osisoft doesn't provide us.

* a screen where the position of items is changed regarding to the value of tags..

ldieffenbach

Rhys @ RJK Solutions

[Shouts]Laurie....[/Shouts]

Sorry, I was washing my hair ...

I think John explained the current strategy with the Coresight beta, but I'd be happy to entertain further discussion on this topic.

Laurie