4 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2011 5:33 AM by Mindtree

PI Collective servers with same IP Address

Mindtree

Hi,

I would like to have an application which can connect to the PI collective, but the primary and secondary server within the collective should have the same IP Address. This is because we need to have a highly available server and the external applications connecting to these servers need to have a single IP address for the server.

I will have a application running on these servers and talknig to the PI Collective, the external applications will connect to my application on the primary server and in case of the Primary server going down my Secondary server application will begin functioning. In this case if the IP Address of the Primary and Secondary are different then the external applications connecting to my application on the server machine will need to know the change of the IP Address whenever the application starts on the Secondary server.

To avoid this and allow the external applications to send the dat to a single IP address no matter where the application is running I would like to have same IP Address for both Primary and Secondary server. If I do this will my PI Collective work with both servers having the same IP Address?

Thanks & Regards

Raghavendra.

• Re: PI Collective servers with same IP Address
          andreas

Raghavendra - why do you need to run your application on the PI server?

And how to you achieve that both computers have the same IP?

AFAIK it is not possible to have two computers on the same network with the same IP at the same time (a Microsoft Cluster does respond on a single IP, but that is in fact one computer owning the IP at a time) – and both computers need to be connected to form the collective – resulting in an IP conflict. So basically this translates for me to a network question rather than a PI question.

BTW, playing around with the IP on a production PI is not good practice, this could result in data loss.

Mindtree

Hi

Thanks for the response

here is our hardware configuration

Two windows servers hosted with -

- PI & AF Servers configured in collective

- SQL Server DB configured in cluster OR mirroring

- custom services

Now for custom services we need to achieve single IP address so that external apps can talk to this services.

If we configure Network Load Balance with Virtual IP adress for external application to talk to custom services.

Will there be any issue for PI & AF if NLB is configured.

dtakara

Raghavendra,

As far as I know, the current PI High Availability platform is designed so that each member of a PI Collective has necessarily a different IP address. The same is true for the AF High Availability platform.

Would the installation of your custom services on computers separated from the PI+AF boxes be option in your case?

Mindtree

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for the response.

We are planning to have two IP Address per server one will be a Physical IP Address and the other will be a Virtual IP Address.

In NLB we will be using Virtual IP Address and this will be same for both the servers, whereas for configuring PI & AF Collective we will be using Physical Address of the servers.

With this sort of environment will PI and AF Server work seamlessly without any conflicts?