3 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2011 10:19 PM by dmoler

Multiple Triggers Template

How are all you Notification developers handling the need for multiple targets for a single notification to be generated?

At the moment we only have the option within a Notification Template to have a single target element template, but there is a need that a notification is generated based on multiple targets.  As an example, imagine I have 2 Element Templates for assets "Asset A Temp" and "Asset B Temp" where "Asset A Temp" is always the parent of "Asset B Temp" - "Asset B Temp" could be the child of other Element Templates".  I want a notification that is generated when an attribute value of "Asset A Temp" is satisified and when the attribute value from "Asset B Temp" is satisfied - seen as though the reference type is present to say "Asset A Temp" has a relationship with "Asset B Temp" then I should be able to configure a notification template to access attributes from both element templates.  The fact that I may derive an element of type "Asset A Temp" but not create any child elements of type "Asset B Temp" doesn't matter, the notification should error or be handled using the PE Condition Rule badval method. 

At the moment I am using the PE Condition Rule to get around this but it means I have to know what I am going to call the child element(s) in advance, which is kind of going against the idea of the notification template - luckily there are good, well known rules around the hierarchy data model.  What else I would like to see here (maybe this is more generally AF related) is an indexed substitution parameter approach to the Element Templates hierarchy like we see in Event Frames referenced elements.

• Re: Multiple Triggers Template
          dmoler

Hi Rhys,

We are aware of the desire to target a templated hierarchy rather than single templated element.  This isn't a feature that will be included in the next release however we are considering how to address it (for your reference, this is WI# 33648).  A fix in notifications would likely allow typing a relative path to the attribute template.  A more strongly typed template hierarchy would require support in AF.

Hey David.  Okay, thanks for the update.  Good to know it has some attention, but feel free to get the data storage moved to event frames first

I did try to include paths to Element Templates ( ElementTemplates[TemplateName]|AttributeName etc) but of course it isn't supported.  I have workarounds but I guess it should be standard functionality, especially with some of the large, complex, templated hierarchies that are becoming common in AF.

Are we really talking about better AF template structures and reference types that Notifications will be able to inherit? i.e. The AF team need to progress this first.

dmoler

Hi Rhys,

We can let a user specify a relative path in PI Notifications - I believe this would address your issue, though will rely on the user to anticipate the hierarchy that the target derived from the element template will be in.  This is what the Work Item covers and is likely to be done in a future PI Notifications release.

We know some customers have asked for templates that incorporate hierarchy.  That would allow a better user experience for configuring templates like this, but it would require AF support - as you might imagine there are many other features competing for their attention.