9 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2011 2:13 PM by Ivara

64 bit SDK, where did the OSIsoft.PISDKDlg.dll go.

Ivara

I have installed the 64-bit SDK and I am unable to locate OSIsoft.PISDKDlg.dll. I used it in my 32-bit app with  the 32-bit PI SDK .

• Re: 64 bit SDK, where did the OSIsoft.PISDKDlg.dll go.
          Ahmad Fattahi

Rob,

Please consult with PI SDK Release Notes. The dll you are mentioning is not listed as a piece that should have been installed; so your experience is the expected behavior. You can see for yourself the list of all the files and dll's installed along with your 64-bit installation and their default location. 

Ahmad Fattahi

By the way, you can reach the Release Notes here.

Ivara

According to the release note, the DLL is not part of the 64-bit SDK install. So what is the alternative?

Does this mean that if we want to allow the user to browse for tags using thePISDKDlg.ApplicationObject.TagSearch.Show(...) method, we are forced to create a 32bit client application.

I have noticed that the AboutPI-SDK.exe is not available with the 64-bit SDK.

the we can only create 320-bit

Ahmad Fattahi

Rob,

Please see the excerpt below from a published article on our Tech Support website; this in fact confirms your suspicion.

• PISDK 1.3.8 does not have common dialogs and controls for 64-bit. Applications that use the COM controls through the supplied interops must be compiled as 32-bit (x86).
                    • PISDK interops come as x86 and AMD64 for the PISDK COM dlls. This reflects the fact that they correspond to native code of one type or the other, and emphasizes the separate delivery of the 32-bit and 64-bit setup kits.
                    • PISDK interops for the COM dialogs and controls are 32-bit only (x86).
                    • PISDK .NET control assemblies are MSIL (Any CPU). The application platform target determines the architecture for which the MSIL assemblies are JIT'd. Currently, the controls available as MSIL are PI Archive editor and annotation editor and MDB Tree editor. Beginning with PISDK 1.4.0, a connection manager and picklist will also be available.
                        Ivara

Hi Ahmad,

Will PI SDK 2010 (1.4) x86/x64 resolve this issue and introduce a control that we can use to browse for tags?

Is the PI SDK 1.4 CPT x64 avaliable now?

Thanks

Ahmad Fattahi

Rob,

PI SDK 1.4 is not available on vCampus at the moment. I will let the PI SDK team shed some more light on the rest of your questions.

The COM controls provided by the 32-bit PISDK were based on VB6 code.  There is no support for VB6 on 64-bit.

In PISDK 1.4, we currently have the following common controls as MSIL (thus, 32&64-bit apps can use them):
                                1. Connection manager,
                                2. Pick list,
                                3. Local PI log viewer,
                                4. PI SDK Buffering configuration control, 
                                5. PI tag snapshot dialog (for a quick connectivity and value check for the PISDK like apisnap did for the PIAPI)

If you are looking for PI tag search, that is not included.  The reason is that we are working on a "PI System search" that handles all our server types.

As a workaround for PI specific searches, the GetPoints (GetPoints2) method will handle any query string you enter, though you will need to create your own dialog.

ldieffenbach

Hi Rob,

Hopefully, Charlie's thorough response answered your immediate question.

As someone involved with the PI System Search initiative, I'm interested in exploring your phrase "browse for tags"... are you just referring to the long-standing Tag Search experience or can I read into your phrase that you want to offer more than just a dialog with a set of criteria fields that returns a matching list?

If it's more, I'd like to discuss it further with you.

Regards,

Laurie Dieffenbach

OSIsoft Product Manager

Ivara

Hi Laurie and Charlie ,

What Charlie described is what we are looking for. Tag browsing is a terminology used in OPC and it is equivalent to “Tag search”. I was hoping that the “PI Tag search” dialog to be included as MSIL.  What is your plan to provide something equivalent to the “PI Tag Search” dialog in PIDSK 1.4 that is MSIL?

Thanks