10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2011 5:00 PM by Nick D'Orazio

Online CBT

w.matta

When is the online CBT going to be updated to the latest version?

• Re: Online CBT
          Nick D'Orazio

Our current schedule is to update our PI System Management videos to cover PI Server 2010 soon, by the end of June. After that we will be updating our PI Web Parts videos. We will also add updated videos to cover the new features of the PI clients ProcessBook, DataLink, and PI Manual Logger. I estimate these will be ready by August.

If you haven't seen the announcement yet, we are now in the process of moving these videos to YouTube organized into playlists at our channel at  [View:http://www.youtube.com/osisoftlearning]. With the YouTube video infrastructure handling the delivery of these videos, we are going to concentrate on supplementing the playlists with updated videos as new features are added to the software, so that it will be more like a video library than the more static course-based CBTs we have produced in the past.

Thanks for your interest and let me know if you have any other questions.

fbatista

I cannot play the updated ProcessBook CBT video in my computer. For example, PB 3.0 on-line CBT works file for me, but the 3.2 version doesn't. Did you use a different tool to record the 3.2 version? I also tried PI System manager I essential skills, and it worked fine, which appears to be using the same recording tool as PB 3.0 CBT.

Nick D'Orazio

Yes, they were produced with very different tools. The PB 3.2 version was actually supposed to be the one that would work on a larger variety of computers because instead of relying on a proprietary codec, the Techsmith Screen Capture Codec (TSCC), it uses instead Adobe Flash. However, it is launched off the CD/DVD as a small Windows executable that launches a window with an embedded Internet Explorer (IE) web browser ActiveX control. (You can verify this by doing a right mouse click when the CBT window opens and you should see all of the normal IE right-click menu options.)

In the past we have seen this fail because IE was either not installed or not a recent version. Can you let us know what happens when you try to run it and what kind of error message, if any, this is showing you when it fails. Note: if this CBT fails the new AF CBT will probably also fail.

fbatista

When I try to run the PB 3.2 CBT videos, another windows pops-up, as expected. I see the player controls, but the video does not appear. It is just a black rectangle. Also the progress bar (located at the bottom of the page) does not move.

My Internet Explorer version is 8.0 and I using the lastest version of Flash Player. I have tested this player with another website, and it works for me. This is the page I used to test my player:

ie.microsoft.com/.../Default.html

From the website mentioned above, the video "H.264 high (Adobe Flash Player)" is working fine with my browser.

It can be a firewall problem here. Do you have any info regarding the ports that should be open for the Flash-based CBT playback?

Nick D'Orazio

I have not been able to find any information confirming that flash requires any ports to be opened in a firewall. We are not requiring any ports for these videos other than the standard browser port 80.

This black screen has in the past been caused for a variety of reasons and for videos hosted on different types of streaming services (YouTube, embedded custom players etc.). Some people have resolved it by uninstalling the flash plug-in to IE and reinstalling (upgrading alone didn't help). But that isn't a definite solution. Some folks found that resetting all IE settings with Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset fixed it but because there is no easy undo to that I hesitate to suggest you do that and it may break other things you have configured to your requirements.

One alternative is to use Mozilla Firefox as your browser. There are small differences between browsers and although Chrome and Safari are not supported, Firefox works fine with the online CBT.

Nick D'Orazio

By the way, most of the videos are now available on YouTube at [View:http://youtube.com/osisoftlearning].  Look for the playlist that covers the topic you are interested in.

Fabiano: you may in partuclar want to take a look at "PI ProcessBook (Portuguese)" which features a narrator you may recognize :)