AlistairFrith

Visualising PI & AF data through MS Reporting Services

Discussion created by AlistairFrith on Jun 13, 2011
Latest reply on Feb 29, 2012 by Gopal

Our customer wants a web-based visualisation application for their PI data. They have a large number (>15,000) of assets so an AF  hierarchy is required. Each asset has of the order of 10 raw data feeds and there are a number of KPIs that can be calculated from this raw data. Geographical information is also relevant in some cases (eg heat maps) and this is available in the AF data.

The customer's strategic tool of choice for data visualisation is Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Reporting services and they would like us to build our application around that.

Does anyone have any experience with showing AF data through MS Reporting Services? Can it be used from within an ASP web page  using C# to collect data from the AF SDK? Or must it talk directly to the data source through ODBC/OLEDB using SQL?

The customer wants to be able to ask questions such as "at what time of day was the daily temperature highest during the last x days/weeks/months? Show as a bar chart" or "show me a heat map of the average utilisation over the last month of all my 200 primary substations". Questions which I think can't be answered easily in AF alone and would need either a .NET middle layer or maybe some custom data references.

--- Alistair.

Outcomes