ssuman

Getting Error [80010105] In Visual Studio During Debug When Build Target is Set to X64 on 64 Bit Windows (Server 2008)

Discussion created by ssuman Employee on Jun 16, 2011
Latest reply on Jun 17, 2011 by charlie@osisoft.com

Hello:

A customer complained to me about this problem and I am seeing the same thing. I am wondering if this is expected behavior. **The problem occurs only when we debug the application in Visual Studio** (I am using VS 2010, but the customer has VS 2008). The application runs fine from the command line. It always builds without any problem.

On 64 bit windows OS, when we set the "target platform" under build options to "Any CPU" or "x64", which are perhaps equivalent on 64 bit windows, we get the following error when trying to debug the application:

"Creating an instance of the COM component with CLSID {3BCB2DC2-5F66-11D1-BD64-0060B0290178} from the IClassFactory failed due to the following error: 80010105."

This error occurs on the following statement (this is C#).

PISDK.PISDK piSdk = new PISDK.PISDK();

**The same application exe runs fine from the command prompt**. Now, if we set the "build target" to x86, debugging works fine. We see the same behavior whether we use 32 bit or 64 bit SDK libraries.

Is this the expected behavior? From what we understand, Visual Studio which is a 32 bit application, is in principle capable of debugging both X64 and X86 applications. Is this a standard behavior with our PI SDK or a misconfiguration of the project on our part.

Please share any insights that you may have on this issue (I am enclosing the complete example code below).

Thanks much,

--Shivesh

(Please see the complete code example being used below in the next reply)

Outcomes