13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2011 4:02 PM by Lonnie Bowling

Silverlight's Death Revisited

Lonnie Bowling

Here is a very good (IMO) blog post by Stephen Forte about one possible future for Silverlight:

"Silverlight is Dead, Long Live XAML"

http://www.stephenforte.net/Default.aspx#a8b91d036-01b1-4a3e-9391-615eb801b969

As much as I wish the whole "Silverlight is dead" talk would just go away, the truth is that Microsoft is in the business of making great software and empowering user and developers alike and Silverlight is just one part of a bigger puzzle.  As this technology has matured it is slowly finding it's place, the above article has a great perspective on what the place may be.

Lonnie

• Re: Silverlight's Death Revisited
          MichaelvdV@Atos

My 2 cents...

The whole Silverlight and Windows 8 thing sometimes almost feels like a bad soap opera fuelled by tabloids.

I don't know why Microsoft isn't reassuring the Silverlight developers that 'its going to be ok'. They have hold off any official communication about  this until the BUILD conference.

Most of these blogposts (and there are litteraly hundreds of them) are based on mere speculation and rumors. There are no official statements made by Microsoft yet. We have to sit back until the BUILD conference.

I'm also really nervous and curious about what's going to happen. I've invested a lot of (personal) time in Silverlight. Why? Because I think it's the best thing that ever happend to webbrowsers and developers. But there is much more involved, and that's something we techies don't like: politics :)

From what I understand from all the rumors, Silverlight and .NET will still have a big place in Windows 8 (Jupiter). And I'm holding on to that thought until Microsoft officially tells me otherwise. :)

< I like>

Michael @ OSIsoft

The whole Silverlight and Windows 8 thing sometimes almost feels like a bad soap opera fuelled by tabloids.

</I like>

oh wait, this is vCampus, not Facebook :)

Ahmad Fattahi

Steve,

Are you proposing a Like button on vCampus?

Ahmad

Are you proposing a Like button on vCampus?
                      oh that's a great idea, hadn't thought of that

Ahmad Fattahi

Playing with fire Rhys!

But we can consider this more seriously.

MichaelvdV@Atos

I see what you did there... Turning this into a Facebook vs Google+ soap opera... Nice

0724.Google_2D00_Plus_2D00_One_2D00_Logo_2D00_190x130.jpg

3225.google_2D00_vs_2D00_facebook.png

Lonnie Bowling

lol, I love how we stayed on topic for this thread (thanks for the attempt to get us back on track Ahmad).  I guess we will talk more after Build.  Is it Friday yet?

MichaelvdV@Atos

You're right, it's partially my fault :)

But, Lonnie, what's your opinion on this all? You are also very interested in Silverlight. I'm wondering what you make of all this.

Lonnie Bowling

I kind of view the development community in two large groups;  web developers and native app developers. The two groups usually have quite different objectives and the tools they need are not the same.  For my entire programming career I have been an apps developer, way before the name “apps” existed.  I have done a little HTML/ASP but really disliked it because it was just ugly to code.  I love nice UI’s but I’m not going to spend days trying to get a table to behave a certain way (wait, I think I have actually done that). And if you have ever tried some of the newer stuff, like Ajax, it is not much easier to work with.

So with that perspective, I found XAML the first UI markup language that actually was usable.  It is powerful and I have spent a great deal of time trying to learn it.  The UI’s are unbelievable for the amount of work you have to do.  Silverlight had a specific purpose when it was first launched, to be a browser/mobile device plug-in.  That really did not happened; but what did happen was people like me bridged from windows forms to xaml and will never go back.  Silverlight did what WPF could not: moved the windows forms guys forward.

I sleep well at night knowing that I spent my learning credits on the right stuff.  I like the blog post I referenced, because it focuses on the underlying technologies and goes beyond the whole “silverlight is dead” soap opera (as Michael put it).

I’m really looking forward to using my skills in Windows 8 to make some really nice applications.  I know that Microsoft will allow that to happen.  And who knows, Microsoft may figure out a way to get me to even start programming in HTML5/JavaScript, if they can take the pain out of it and I can be productive.

I always like to keep an eye on the future and try to align myself with what I think will be interesting work for me.  So far Silverlight has been and is still where I’m focused.  I have shifted a little away from the browser and over to the phone, but figure I will be doing a combination of both over the next few years.  Oh and don’t forget about the over-hyped cloud computing…

MichaelvdV@Atos

I agree with your post. That's a good read, thank you!

Lonnie Bowling

I found XAML the first UI markup language that actually was usable.

This is also very true for me. I think the main reason why that is, is that XAML was designed to build User Interfaces. HTML is originally designed to create documents (web pages), not at all interactive User Interfaces. For me personally, HTML(5) over XML is only going to be interesting if HTML reaches the same maturity for building User Interfaces, not documents.

This, and the lack of good IDE's and debuggers (we have XAML debugging in SL5 now.... :D ) keeps me from really investing in HTML(5) at this point.

Lonnie Bowling

Oh and don’t forget about the over-hyped cloud computing…

Ah! Indeed, the term 'cloud computing' has been so overhyped, its not funny anymore. The problem is that (specially in the beginning) everyone was worshipping this new ideal ideology, without good comprehension of what this new paradigm actually meant. It was treated like something mystical and mythical. Now that a lot of vendors (Amazon, Microsoft, Google) have something concrete to offer, it is getting the right attention. People and companies have are moving over, and the real added value of cloud computing is showing.

I am a very strong believer in 'cloud computing' as a next step.