daneoverfield

Referencing an attribute of the primary element

Discussion created by daneoverfield on Jul 13, 2011
Latest reply on Jul 15, 2011 by daneoverfield

I watched a video by Chris Nelson (I think it was vCampus Live last fall) where he showed a new feature of EF where a defined attribute of an EF template could reference an attribute of the primary/default element assigned to the EF using the template.

The reference example as I wrote it down was this:
.\Elements[.]|Flow
This would set the attribute value to the Flow attribute of the primary/default element assigned to the EF using this template.

I tried this on my system (PI AF Server 2010 R2):

I have an element X with attribute "Temperature" which points to a PI tag (Data reference is a PI point). This data reference works.

I created an EF template with attribute named "Temp" , set the Data Reference to PI Point, and on the definition of this reference I selected "Attribute" and set the value to .\Elements[.]|Temperature

I created a new EF using this EF template, set the start and end time, added a referenced Element to X, and saved it.

When I look at the EF properties, it shows the attribute Temp yet has an error for the value:
Cannot retrieve the referenced Attribute '.\Elements[.]|Temperature' for attribute 'Batch Unit EventFrame20110713-001|Temp'.

I'm using PI AF Server 2010 R2. Is this feature not available or is there some other issue with my syntax or configuration?

Outcomes