8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2011 5:19 PM by Ahmad Fattahi

testing ACE output w.r.t. user specified value

inform2prabhat

Hi All,

I am in middle of something and need your help to come out.

As we all know, Individual ACE calculations can be tested against any of the below points :

Current value, Maximum value, Minimum value, typical value and User Specified value.

I want to pick User specific values from an excel sheet for given number of calculations and test them once.

it will be something like this:

tag                        testing value

outputtag1          100

outputtag2          200 ..... and so on.

How to do that ? i dont want to go one by one and test calculations .

please help me to write a custom code for the same.

Many Thanks in advance,

prabhat mishra

• Re: testing ACE output w.r.t. user specified value
          dtakara

Hi Prabhat,

Given the situation you describe, it seems like a simpler approach would be to just go ahead, register the ACE calculation and have it running with the ACE scheduler.

With the ACE calculation running, you can then use the spreadsheet C:\Program Files\PIPC\Excel\PIEXAM32.xls to write values to the input tags of your ACE calculation and use the Current Value function of PI DataLink in another (or the same) spreadsheet and check the values of the output tags.

Would this approach be handy in your situation?

inform2prabhat

Hi Daniel, Many thanks for the reply. But this will be adding a value to pi archive for particular tag. I am looking a solution for check against "User specified value" which is a custom value and nothing to do with archive. If you click on the combo box of input tag value type column while testing the calculations , you will find an option of User Specified value. I need to define those values through an excel sheet. Hope i am clear. Any solution to achive this ?

dtakara

Hi Prabhat,

I see, you don't want to write values to the input tags of your ACE calculation for testing purposes.

I am not sure though if it is possible to implement the approach you have in mind, as I don't think the GUI of the ACE Calculation Test feature in the current PI ACE version can be extended programatically by the user to import user specified values from an Excel spreadsheet.

Your best option is probably to test your ACE calculation against a development PI Server first, using the approach I suggested previously. After you are happy with your tests, you can  then deploy your ACE calculation against the production PI Server.

The approach I suggested might be appropriate and convenient to you if you do it against a development PI Server, where adding test values to PI tags is not an issue, before deploying your ACE calculations.

Can you please share a little more about your setup:

• Are the ACE Wizard, ACE Scheduler and ACE Manager located in different computers?
                  • Do you have a development PI Server (most likely, a vCampus PI Server, where you can freely add values to PI tags) and a separate production PI server?

inform2prabhat

Many thanks Daniel,

I think there must be some way to do it programatically. we have functions for everthing like recalculation, context mapping, adding Input/ouptu tags without wizard etc then why not for testing w.r.t. custom Input values ? Getting a different server and all is not feasible in current situation.

All the ACE wizard, scheduler and manager is located in 1 mahine.

PI servers are live and already in production. So can't do much on PI Side. Everything need to be done on ACE side.

Please suggest .

Many thanks,

Prabhat Mishra

dtakara

Hi Prabhat,

I am not sure if you are aware, but a vCampus membership includes the license to PI Server and PI ACE (among a bunch of other OSIsoft products) for development and testing purposes.

So, the approach I am suggesting is completely different from the one you have in mind, but you may want to consider it. The idea is to install a "vCampus PI Server" and a "vCampus PI ACE" on your own machine and use them to develop and test your ACE calculations, before deploying them to your production environment.

If you need live data from the production PI Server to test your ACE calculations in your development environment (which in this case would consist of a "vCampus PI Server" and a "vCampus PI ACE"), you can transfer the live data from the production environment to the development environment using the PI-to-PI interface that is provided as part of your vCampus membership.

Please let us know if this is a feasible approach to you.