7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2011 10:44 PM by pkaiser

AF tree view. Attribute parents, multi-select

Børre Heggernes

Hello community,

seems I can't add multiple tags to be sent to PI trend WP. We've added an attribute parent. It contains 2 attributes I want to connect.

I can successfully add one of them and everything works as I want to, ie select an element in the tree view and the attribute is sent to the PI trend wp. However, it won't let me do multi select. And if I add them in 2 operations, it just over writes the first one.

7357.Selected-data.jpg

Is this by design, or should it work? I want to have 2 of the available attributes sent to the trend

• Re: AF tree view. Attribute parents, multi-select
          andreas

Borre, you may uncheck the "Replace Ad Hoc Traces" - this will allow you to add them in two operations.

Asle Frantzen

Andreas, it kind of works - but not how you specified it.

Adding them in two operations doesn't work. When we select the first attribute parent from the connections list, add a new line, and try to connect a second attribute - it just replaces the selection done already.

But - instead of selecting one of the attributes you wish to add, you can select "PI Tag List", and then remove the checking of the "Replace ad-hoc traces", it seems to do the trick if the elements contain the attributes specified in the attribute parent.

And if they don't contain the attributes from the attribute parent, it just displays all PI tags resolved for that element.

The error we're getting though, is that when you navigate from one element to another, it adds trend-traces rather than replacing them. So after a couple of navigations, the trend is so full of traces that it's hard to see whats what.

I hope this is not intended behaviour? Could it be our setup?

pkaiser

One way to approach this is to add the Attributes to the Trend, then pass the Element context from the TreeView to the Trend. Will this work, or do the Attribute names change from one Element to the next?

Børre Heggernes

Hi Paul,

no attribute names do not change, they are all based on same template. Will try your suggested solution a little later. tnx

Asle Frantzen

Paul Kaiser

One way to approach this is to add the Attributes to the Trend, then pass the Element context from the TreeView to the Trend. Will this work, or do the Attribute names change from one Element to the next?

Paul, we've set it up like this now, and it works!

A challenge we'd like to throw your way, is the ability to make different selections of attributes into the same setup. We have two AF templates at the moment, where the first one contains attributes common to all oil wells, and the second (derived) one contains attributes for gas lifted wells. So about half of the wells in our hierarchy for this field are based on the BasicWellTemplate, and the rest on the GasLiftWellTemplate - derived from the first one.

When I set up the Trend webpart I have to select attributes from one of the elements in the tree. If I select attributes only from a basic well, everything is ok. But if I select attributes which only exist for the gas lifted wells, I would get an error at the top of the Trend webpart when selecing a non-gaslifted well.

We also have more things we need to implement - like the difference between "Producing wells" and "Injecting wells".

So if we had the opportunity to select attributes for the Trend webpart based on ElementTemplates or Categories perhaps, we would be able to differentiate between these different setups without getting an error message.

I have also tested the option of using the "PI Tag List" communicated from the TreeView to the Trend, but this also includes other tag-attributes which we don't want to see in the trend. Our goal is to build one master hierarchy in AF where all related asset data are collected for maximum user-friendliness, we don't want to have to build different hierarchies for the different audiences / systems.

Asle Frantzen

Andreas

Borre, you may uncheck the "Replace Ad Hoc Traces" - this will allow you to add them in two operations.

Andreas, I now understand what you meant by this - but that would be a user-operation rather than a configuration-operation where we set this up as part of the Sharepoint job.