4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2011 4:28 PM by Ahmad Fattahi

Have you used PI System with WITSML?

Ahmad Fattahi

"WITSML™ (Wellsite Information Transfer Standard Markup Language) is an industry initiative to provide open, non-proprietary, standard interfaces for technology and software that monitor and manage wells, completions and workovers.", says the sponsoring agency's website about the WITSML standard.

Do you use this standard at your wells? Have you integrated that with your PI System? Do you use PI Web Services or tweak some of OSIsoft's out-of-the-box interfaces (such as UFL or XML) to get the job done? What was the most challenging part to make the integration work? Would you be interested in a dedicated interface to the PI System for that matter?

Please share your experiences on the standard with us and potentially affect the future products!

• Re: Have you used PI System with WITSML?
          Asle Frantzen

I used the XML interface to collect process data from an offshore oil rig back in 2008 or 2009, but it ended up with my work not going into production because of some administrative discrepancies between our client and Halliburton I think.

So I've barely touched into the subject. But I believe WITSML is used at several oil companies in Norway, I even think Halliburton ++ developed the technology here (don't shoot me if I'm wrong)

Ahmad Fattahi

Thanks very much Asle! Would you describe your experience using the XML interface to work with WITSML? Would you say it is a good-enough solution or you think it takes so much effort to customize that it calls for a dedicated interface to the PI System?

Asle Frantzen

Well, I'm not sure I can give a clean and simple answer to that.

We had access to a WITSML test server which didn't always function as it should, and our experiences with the XML interface was that not all functionality was implemented at that time. I think we were at version 1.2 and we had quite a few emails going back and forth with the interface developer. He helped us out and sent over a few new versions we tried out.

In the end, we did get data into PI. We also had an issue where the previous run of the interface wasn't completed until data was available again, from the WITSML server. That also created a bit of a problem.

But, I want to stress that this was 2-3 years ago, and I think a lot of these issues have been addressed by now.

My experiences with the XML interface are pretty good though. The interface has/had three plugins (FileReader, http and OPC) and I believe we got a 4th one in the WITSML functionality. I think it's ok to have different functionality in one interface like that.

The thing that took most time for me was setting up the queries against the WITSML server. I didn't have any experience with WITSML, and we also didn't have any users/experts at our client. So my conclusion is that if I had gotten expert-help with the queries, the interface would have been much easier to set up.