9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2011 5:36 PM by Pablo Benvenuto

Demo PI System to pull data from

hello All,

I have been posting basic questions in the different discussion halls, the response has been excellent! I am learning a lot about the system as I setup my development environment.

I understand this is quite difficult, but is there a demo PI system hosted by OSIsoft where I can use the webservices I develop to pull data? I am working on setting up the PI Server/AF/Simulators but that is relatively slow.

Thanks in advance.

Adnan

• Re: Demo PI System to pull data from
          Ahmad Fattahi

Adnan,

Glad you find interacting with fellow PI professionals in vCampus community helpful! Have you visited the Virtual Learning Labs that come with your vCampus subscription? Please visit vCampus Training Center and scroll down where it says "Virtual Learning Lab Environment". This is a hosted PI System where you can try different products before trying them on your own system.

Thanks Ahmad.

The site has so much information but I wasn't sure where to start. It seems like a dummies flow-chart to OSIsoft would be helpful :)

I do appreciate the community - awesome.

Ahmad Fattahi

OK great! By the way, there is this video tour of vCampus that shows you very quickly all the features of the community. The link is on the bottom left of the landing page. You may be interested in that.

hi,

I am back after doing some homework. What I have done so far,

- I spent time with the Virtual Lab Environment (got my login to Surgient).

- I read the manual's web-services section - how to formulate request.

My approach would be, I need to check if it is correct,

- Start the Virtual Lab Environment (It worked first time round but does not start now when I click on Start Now).

- Setup my web services client (in java) to fetch data from the Virtual PI system.

On a high level, will this approach work? I understand I have to dig deeper and will run into issues.

Adnan

Ahmad Fattahi

Sounds right. Please note that sometimes, depending on the load on the server, the launch can take a couple of minutes. If it still doesn't load up please don't hesitate to contact us for more help at vcampus@osisoft.com.

Ahmad Fattahi

How did we do here Adnan? Where is your web client sitting? If you mean to use PI Web Services from outside the virtual environment to get data from a PI System inside the virtual environment, I don't think that's feasible.

Thanks for following up Ahmad.

Didn't do too well - Virtual environment didn't start up. Contacted support, got a response yesterday after a week. I have to log back in and try it again. On the second note - doesn't the very premise of web service imply an external client needs to pull data from the PI system.

My web-service client would be sitting on my machine during the development phase and pull data from the PI System in the virtual environment. The goal is to establish a basic communication layer where information (summarized data) can be pulled from the PI system into our system.

Adnan

Ahmad Fattahi

I am sorry to hear the problems with the virtual environment. Please do let us know if the problem persists.

You are right in principle about PI Web Services. However, the PI System needs to be exposed through IIS to the external world so web clients can take advantage. I don't believe the virtual environment allows that. In other words, this a limitation of the environment and not PI Web Services. I am very curious to see your findings though!

Pablo Benvenuto

Hi Adnan,

please contact me directly if you are still having issues with the Virtual Learning Environment and I will help you login: Pablo Benvenuto pbenvenuto@osisoft.com, 602-896-3902.

On a different note, Ahmad is right in that you cannot access PI Webservices from outside the Vritual Learning Environment.  The reason for this is that the purpose of the Virtual Learning Environment is a tool for learning how our software works.  So the Virtual Machine is isolated from the outside with limited internet access.  The VM includes PI Web Services and a IIS server that allows you to learn how the software works by working on some exercises but only from within the VM.  What you need to test your client is a test server and at this moment we are not offering a hosted test server for application development, however this is something that we will consider for the future.