2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2017 6:16 AM by calmandrysdale

AF - Formula Data Reference - How to check if Attribute Excluded

calmandrysdale

Hola,

Using a Formula Data Reference how does one go about testing if an attribute is excluded?

I need to be able to test if a value is bad or excluded (so just using badval won't work) and produce two different results based on that.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Calman

• Re: AF - Formula Data Reference - How to check if Attribute Excluded
          Duc Ta Hieu

Hi Calman,

I found a similar discussion here: Excluded Attribute in Analyses

Currently, it seems that there is no straight forward way to do this and the 'IsExcluded' function is not yet available.

Furthermore, the functions in a Formula DR are much more limited compared to an AF Analysis.

In the short term, I would say that the likelihood of an elegant solution using a Formula DR is very slim.

Is there any particular reason why you prefer to use a Formula DR?

If you are open to using an AF Analysis, I feel that there is a possible immediate solution.

During my tests, I noticed the following behaviour:

If the data in your PI Point never assumes the "No Result" digital state, then you could try the following logic:

If 'MyAttribute' = "No Result" Then <insert EXCLUDED logic> Else If BadVal('MyAttribute') Then <insert BAD logic> Else <insert GOOD logic>

Just FYI, I also tried using the same strategy with a Formula DR but I couldn't find a way to make it recognize the "No Result" digital state.

Again, this seems to be a limitation with the Formula DR.

• Re: AF - Formula Data Reference - How to check if Attribute Excluded
              calmandrysdale

Hi Duc,

Thanks for your detailed answer!

I guess I was hoping to use a Formula DR as this is a templated element, of which there are many and i'm doing a simple "is element faulted" check based on a number of fault tags. Unfortunately a number of the elements inheriting from this template have not got all the alarms (and no it can't be broken down nicely into an inherited template style).

I went through and excluded these attributes on the instances however then my formula (which checks for bad values on the real fault tags) fails.

Quite frustrating.

I feel the Formula Data Reference is due for an upgrade

Thanks again for your answer.

Cheers.

Calman