9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2011 12:59 PM by chandotnet

SharePoint 2010 - Edit in ProcessBook

chandotnet

We have an issue with Sharepoint 2010 and the option : Edit in ProcessBook of .PDI files.

Error message when we try : "The document could not be opened for editing.  A Windows Sharepoint Services compatible application could not be found to edit the document.”

I have analyzed the DOCICON.XML file located on our SharePoint server.

File Location : C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\XML

Here what we have about PDI under the ByExtension element :

<Mapping Key="pdi" Value="icpiw.gif" EditText="PI ProcessBook" OpenControl="PBLaunchApp.Ctrl" />

I understand that an ActiveX with ProgId PBLaunchApp.Ctrl is registred somewhere on the client to handle OpenCommands from Sharepoint. But this ActiveX is failing and throw an exception !?

My workaround was :

• develop a new ActiveX with the same ProgId (PBLaunchApp.Ctrl);
      • implement the interface IOpenDocument;
        • EditDocument and ViewDocument will look in the registry where is installed ProcessBook and launch it with the passed file location.

Works fine (even better because we don't like the "browser embedded version" of ProcessBook")... already deployed on some clients but we now have to deploy this "fix / hack / the name of your choice" on each client where PB is installed

Do you plan an official fix soon about this bug ? we prefer to deploy an official patch than an home made fix.

The new(fixed) PBLaunchApp should have an option/configuration about the embedded or not version.

Regards,
      Sébastien Chandonnet

• Re: SharePoint 2010 - Edit in ProcessBook
          mwood

Sebastien,

This is Mike Wood.  I am the product manager for PI WebParts.  I would like to formally enter this with our product support team so that it continues to get the attention it deserves..and to insure that your question is answered.

bkarthikeyan

Sebastien,

We have a punchlist item of this matter. Please see the URL: techsupport.osisoft.com/.../issues.aspx

jkotwal

This is a known issue with ProcessBook and SharePoint 2010, detailed in PLI 24273OSI8.

The workaround given is:

1.     Select Open with Explorer from the Library tab at the top of the document library page. This will open a Windows Explorer window with all documents in the library. From here, the ProcessBook display can be opened on the local machine.

2.     Add a registry entry for the ProcessBook launch control that is version independent. The following keys can be added to a machine where ProcessBook is installed:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PbLaunchApp.Ctrl]
                @="Ctrl Class"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PbLaunchApp.Ctrl\CLSID]
                @="{34B9BD7D-8FBA-4F34-839E-2228ADB33A8C}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PbLaunchApp.Ctrl\CurVer]
                @="PbLaunchApp.Ctrl.2.1"

After adding these keys, the "Edit in PI ProcessBook" option will work on that client machine.

3.     Download a copy of the display from the Document Library to the local machine and then open that copy.

chandotnet

My apologize,

My first reflex to found answers to our problems is to search here on vcampus and forgot about the "techsupport.osisoft.com" site...

Anyway, I'm glad I had the opportunity to learn to develop custom sharepoint application launcher in csharp   . I will share the code if any of you is interested :)

I will create a .reg to update the registry, this will be our fix then.

Thank you !

Sébastien

chandotnet

Back on this....

This morning I've made a .reg to fix registry keys and I'm now using the original PBLaunchApp :

I got this message box when I click to view the document:

3223.Capture.PNG

Maybe our clients don't have the last/good version ?

Copied info from PI ProcessBook about box :

Version 3.2.3.0

•     COMCTL32.dll        6.1.7600.16385     6.10.7601.17514     
                        •     MFC80.DLL           8.00.50727.4053     8.0.50727.4053
                        •     ModuleContext.dll     3.02              3.2.0.0           C:\Program Files (x86)\PIPC\PROCBOOK\ModuleContext\
                        •     MSO9.DLL            9.0.4402          9.0.0.4402        C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Office\
                        •     MSVBVM60.DLL        6.00.9815         6.0.98.15         C:\Windows\system32\
                        •     MSVCR80.dll         8.00.50727.4940     8.0.50727.4940
                        •     msvcrt.dll          7.0.7600.16385     7.0.7600.16385     C:\Windows\syswow64\
                        •     Pblib32.dll         3.2.3.0           3.2.3.0           C:\PROGRA~2\PIPC\PROCBOOK\
                        •     pisdk.dll           1.3.8.0           1.3.8.391         C:\Program Files (x86)\PIPC\PISDK\
                        •     PISDKCommon.dll     1.3.8.0           1.3.8.391         C:\Program Files (x86)\PIPC\PISDK\
                        •     PISDKDlg.dll        1.06.0365         1.6.0.365         C:\Program Files (x86)\PIPC\PISDK\
                        •     PITimeServer.dll     1.3.8.0           1.3.8.387         C:\Program Files (x86)\PIPC\Library\
                        •     Plot.dll            3.2.0.0           3.2.0.0           C:\PROGRA~2\PIPC\PROCBOOK\
                        •     Prims32.dll         3.2.0.0           3.2.0.0           C:\PROGRA~2\PIPC\PROCBOOK\
                        •     procbook.exe        3.2.3.0           3.2.3.0           C:\PROGRA~2\PIPC\PROCBOOK\
                        •     SQC.DLL             3.2.0.0           3.2.0.0           C:\PROGRA~2\PIPC\PROCBOOK\
                        •     svg_addin.dll       3.02              3.2.0.0           C:\Program Files (x86)\PIPC\PROCBOOK\SVG_addin\
                        •     Toolbox.dll         3.2.0.0           3.2.0.0           C:\PROGRA~2\PIPC\PROCBOOK\
                        •     Trend32.dll         3.2.0.0           3.2.0.0           C:\PROGRA~2\PIPC\PROCBOOK\
                        •     trndutil.dll        3.2.0.0           3.2.0.0           C:\Program Files (x86)\PIPC\Procbook\
                        •     VBE6.DLL            6.05.1040         6.5.10.40         C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\VBA\VBA6\
                        •     xyplot.dll          3.2.0.0           3.2.0.0           C:\PROGRA~2\PIPC\PROCBOOK\

Also, more than half of PDIs in our sharepoint libraries (but not all) open like that in view mode (always using PBLaunchApp):

7433.Capture2.PNG

and when working, open embedded in internet explorer :

6354.Capture3.PNG

We can live with that but we don't like that, if we want something embedded we will use ActiveView web part or publish an svg version (nearly the same).

also the workaround #3 (3. Download a copy of the display from the Document Library to the local machine and then open that copy.) is not acceptable for us.

Regards,
                        Sébastien

Sebastien Chandonnet

My first reflex to found answers to our problems is to search here on vcampus and forgot about the "techsupport.osisoft.com" site...
                          Yeah, in general vCampus supports questions aroud PI programming and systems integration, whereas the regular Technical Support team (and site) supports PI System Administration, product configuration and end-user types questions. Pretty much like MSDN vs. TechNet at Microsoft.

chandotnet

Steve Pilon

Pretty much like MSDN vs. TechNet at Microsoft.

if I understand well, your telling me thats its maybe better to continue (or restart) this thread on techsupport ?

Sebastien Chandonnet

if I understand well, your telling me thats its maybe better to continue (or restart) this thread on techsupport ?
                                  Basically, yes, this would be your best resource... they will have a resource assigned to your case and he/she will handle it until it's resolved, involving the appropriate people along the line. Whereas the vCampus Discussion Hall is more of a collaboration tool where the community (including a dedicated vCampus team and other OSIsoft people) helps in a more organic fashion. And this community, along with all the resources provided on vCampus (e.g. webinars, documents, blogs, etc.), generally focuses on PI programming and systems integration.

At this time there is no vCampus-like community/forum for "regular Technical Support", so your contact options are as described here.

Voilà! Just trying to help you make the best out of the different resources we offer