7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2017 3:53 PM by Dan Fishman

How to reference another event frame when creating an event frame

BarryHu

We use Emerson DeltaV DCS system. We use the PI Event Frame interface which captures the batch information nicely.

Let's say that in a particular recipe Phase A, B, C and D run on a unit. I can see these events when doing an event frame search. I would like to create another event that starts when phase A starts and end when phase C ends. Could not figure out how to reference these automatically created events though.

Any idea?

Thanks.

SBH

• Re: How to reference another event frame when creating an event frame
          pmartin

Hi Shih-Yao,

Could you create this event frame using an Event Frame Generation Analysis?  You can set the Start Trigger to whatever condition triggers Phase A and the End Trigger to whatever condition ends phase C.

BarryHu

Hi Paul,

That's what I was trying to do. The things is I don't know how to reference those phases. What would be the right syntax? It's not exactly an attribute. I tried a couple things but no luck.

Thanks,

Barry

Kenji Hashimoto

I believe we cannot refer to event frame itself from analysis and PI Event Frame Generator. If you want to get it, you need to create custom application that search new event frames and write information that event frames are created/ finished to the specific tags/attributes. I think that is too hard to achieve.

Maybe you are using PI Event Frame Generator to create Emerson DeltaV DCS's batch information.

From PI Event Frames Interface Manager > Event Frames Structure

There should be Active point. It is the same as Paul Martin said, using this active point, I believe you should be able to create new Event frames by PI Analysis or PI Event frame generator.

If you use PIBaGen compatibility mode in PI Event Frame Interface Manager, the active point information is in MDB. (PI SMT > Batch > Batch Generator)

BarryHu

Thanks. We do use DeltaV Batch Event Frame interface. May you elaborate a bit on how to get to the active point?

I had similar problem when using PI Batch. I thought with all the information store in the MDB there's got to be a way to extract the start time and end time of sub-batch but there isn't. I suspect Event Frame is the same way. Can't get the information unless you do a search explicitly.

Any help getting to the active point is appreciated.

Dan Fishman

If you are using the DeltaV Batch Interface you can configure a tag template to write a value of "1" when Phase A starts and a value of "0" when Phase C ends.  This interface does not have "active points" but you could create your own.  Look at the logic for what determines the start and end of a phase and use two tag templates.  The only issue I see with this approach is you might need to make multiple configurations per unit and this super-phase will not be part of the S88 hierarchy (which might be desirable). 

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                              BarryHu

I think what you propose would sort of work. It maybe hard to distinguish when a specific phase start and end though.

I think I'll have to go back to the old PIBaGen approach, creating actual flag in DCS and and manipulate the value in my phases, send the tags to PI, then use AF analytics to capture the tag changes as events.

Even though all the batch events are captured automatically by the event frame interface, it does not appear there is a way to reference those batch events. It's a pity.

Dan Fishman

I don't think it would be too hard to distinguish when a specific phase started and finished if you know the phase names.  You know the event will be a "State Changed" and the Pvalue is "Running" for start.  For the end the value will be "REMOVED", "COMPLETE", or "ABORTED" . There also is a PHASE placeholder.  I believe OSIsoft has a sample phase tag template they could provide to help you get started for trigger on phases if you decided not to use the DCS flag.  I'm not sure which is easier for you to change!

1 of 1 people found this helpful