7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2017 7:29 AM by geirke

Installation of PI SQL Data Access Server fails

geirke

I am trying to install PI SQL Data Access Server (OLE DB) Install Kit, but I get the message:

"Service 'PI SQL Data Access Server (OLE DB)' (PiSqlDas) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."

This happens even if I run the installer as Administrator. I downloaded version 1.5.16302.2 of the Install Kit from the Osisoft website. I have PI OLE DB Enterprise installed already.

The OS is 64 bit Windows 7 Enterprise SP1.

The install log shows:

=============================

==>> Begin InstallThread <<==

Looking for initialization file at: C:\pisetup.ini

Found [SETUPKIT] NAME = PISQLDAS

Installation started at Tue Apr 11 09:45:07 2017

--- >>> Setup Module 1

Loading: 1 (C:\Users\geieng\AppData\Local\Temp\PISQLDAS_1.5.16302.2\dotnet460Setup.dll)

dotnet460Setup> The version of the .Net Framework on the destination machine is 4.6.01590

CompareVersions> NewVer4 not found...padding with 0

CompareVersions> InstalledVer4 not found...padding with 0

CompareVersions> NewVer3 < InstalledVer3...returning -1

Setup Module 1 (dotnet460Setup) is already installed.

--- >>> Setup Module 2

The Setup Module 2 (C:\Users\geieng\AppData\Local\Temp\PISQLDAS_1.5.16302.2\MSRuntimesVS2015_x86) is not supported on WIN7SP1_X64 operating systems. Skipping.

--- >>> Setup Module 3

Loading: 3 (C:\Users\geieng\AppData\Local\Temp\PISQLDAS_1.5.16302.2\MSRuntimesVS2015_x64.dll)

MSRuntimesVS2015_x64> Detecting whether or not the Visual Studio 2015 Runtimes are installed

CompareVersions> Versions identical...returning 0

MSRuntimesVS2015_x64> Found version 14.0.24212 with product code {<redacted>}. This version is the same or newer than the version to install 14.0.24212.0. Continue checking for additional versions installed.

MSRuntimesVS2015_x64> The installed version 14.0.24212 is the same as or newer than the version to install 14.0.24212.0 - returning TRUE.

Setup Module 3 (MSRuntimesVS2015_x64) is already installed.

--- >>> Setup Module 4

The Setup Module 4 (C:\Users\geieng\AppData\Local\Temp\PISQLDAS_1.5.16302.2\PI_SQL_Data_Access_Server_OLE_DB_x86.msi) is not supported on WIN7SP1_X64 operating systems. Skipping.

--- >>> Setup Module 5

IsMSIInstalled> Unable to obtain Related Products for Upgrade Code {<redacted>}. Returned error: 259

SetRunOnceKey> Setting Run Key to C:\Users\geieng\AppData\Local\Temp\PISQLDAS_1.5.16302.2\Setup.exe 5

SetRunOnceKey> Closing Run Key and returning TRUE

Calling InstallModuleAndReturnErrorCode for Setup Module 5 (PI_SQL_Data_Access_Server_OLE_DB_x64.msi) at Tue Apr 11 09:45:07 2017

DisableEnableRestartManager> Option to DisableAutomaticApplicationShutdown is not set. Restart Manager will not be disabled for sequence number 5.

PI_SQL_Data_Access_Server_OLE_DB_x64> Installation Command is C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe /i "C:\Users\geieng\AppData\Local\Temp\PISQLDAS_1.5.16302.2\PI_SQL_Data_Access_Server_OLE_DB_x64.msi" /l*v "C:\SetupPI_SQL_Data_Access_Server_OLE_DB_x64.log"

PI_SQL_Data_Access_Server_OLE_DB_x64> Setting reboot flag to false

SetupUtils> Copying C:\SetupPI_SQL_Data_Access_Server_OLE_DB_x64.log to C:\Program Files (x86)\PIPC\dat\SetupPI_SQL_Data_Access_Server_OLE_DB_x64.log

InstallModuleAndReturnErrorCode FAILED at Tue Apr 11 09:46:04 2017. Installation error for Setup Module 5 (PI_SQL_Data_Access_Server_OLE_DB_x64.msi):[1603] Fatal error during installation.

InstallThread will terminate.

==>>  End InstallThread  <<==

==============================

==>>  Begin Verification  <<==

==============================

--- >>> Setup Module 1

Setup module dotnet460Setup is check for install only (CHECKFORINSTALLEDONLY).

Loading: 1 (C:\Users\geieng\AppData\Local\Temp\PISQLDAS_1.5.16302.2\dotnet460Setup.dll)

C:\Users\geieng\AppData\Local\Temp\PISQLDAS_1.5.16302.2\dotnet460Setup.dll version 1.0.0.8

dotnet460Setup> The version of the .Net Framework on the destination machine is 4.6.01590

CompareVersions> NewVer4 not found...padding with 0

CompareVersions> NewVer3 < InstalledVer3...returning -1

Module (Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6 Setup v4.6.00079) already installed.

--- >>> Setup Module 2

[UNSUPPORTED_OPERATING_SYSTEMS]: 2 = X64

Setup module MSRuntimesVS2015_x86 is not supported on WIN7SP1_X64 operating systems.

Loading: 2 (C:\Users\geieng\AppData\Local\Temp\PISQLDAS_1.5.16302.2\MSRuntimesVS2015_x86.dll)

C:\Users\geieng\AppData\Local\Temp\PISQLDAS_1.5.16302.2\MSRuntimesVS2015_x86.dll version 1.0.3.0

MSRuntimesVS2015_x86> Detecting whether or not the Visual Studio 2015 Runtimes are installed

MSRuntimesVS2015_x86> Found version 14.0.24212 with product code {<redacted>}. This version is the same or newer than the version to install 14.0.24212.0. Continue checking for additional versions installed.

MSRuntimesVS2015_x86> The installed version 14.0.24212 is the same as or newer than the version to install 14.0.24212.0 - returning TRUE.

Module (Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x86) Update 3 v14.0.24212.0) already installed.

--- >>> Setup Module 3

Loading: 3 (C:\Users\geieng\AppData\Local\Temp\PISQLDAS_1.5.16302.2\MSRuntimesVS2015_x64.dll)

C:\Users\geieng\AppData\Local\Temp\PISQLDAS_1.5.16302.2\MSRuntimesVS2015_x64.dll version 1.0.3.0

MSRuntimesVS2015_x64> Detecting whether or not the Visual Studio 2015 Runtimes are installed

MSRuntimesVS2015_x64> Found version 14.0.24212 with product code {<redacted>}. This version is the same or newer than the version to install 14.0.24212.0. Continue checking for additional versions installed.

MSRuntimesVS2015_x64> The installed version 14.0.24212 is the same as or newer than the version to install 14.0.24212.0 - returning TRUE.

Module (Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) Update 3 v14.0.24212.0) already installed.

--- >>> Setup Module 4

[UNSUPPORTED_OPERATING_SYSTEMS]: 4 = X64

Setup module PI_SQL_Data_Access_Server_OLE_DB_x86.msi is not supported on WIN7SP1_X64 operating systems.

IsMSIInstalled> Unable to obtain Related Products for Upgrade Code {<redacted>}. Returned error: 259

Module (PI SQL Data Access Server (OLE DB) v1.5.16302.2) is not installed, Reason: operating system is not supported - skip installation.

--- >>> Setup Module 5

Module (PI SQL Data Access Server (OLE DB) v1.5.16302.2) will be installed.

----------------------

Completed Verification checks for all modules.

============================

==>>  End Verification  <<==

============================

No custom completion module specified in C:\pisetup.ini

Installation of PI SQL Data Access Server 2016 R2 has failed. Setup return code 1603. InstallThread Error 1603.

Module PI SQL Data Access Server (OLE DB) (4) will not be displayed because it is skipped

Any ideas?

• Re: Installation of PI SQL Data Access Server fails
          rsun

Hi Geir,

Can you try the following?

1. Stopped PI SQL DAS Integrator service

2. Ran the PI SQL DAS install kit

3. Edited pisqldas.exe config file and set portSharingEnabled to true

4. Started PI SQL DAS Integrator service

Thanks.

Ricky

geirke

Hi Ricky,

I can't find anything named PI SQL DAS Integrator service. On my system, I have the following PI services:

- PI Buffer Subsystem

- PI Message Subsystem

- PI Network Manager

- PI OLEDB Enterprise Agent

- PI SQL Data Access Server (OLE DB)

- PI-Buffer Server

- PI-Buffer Server x64

- PIPC Log Server

- PIPC Log Server x64

geirke

I managed to get PI SQL Data Access Server to install via IT support. They said it was expecting a particular user to be present on the system, but they were able to 'fool' it to accept a different user. The service is now running on my system, but when I try to connect using the PI JDBC driver, it fails with the following message in PI SDK Utility -> Message Log:

Failed to create/open ..PISystem\PISDK\1.0\ServerHandles key

If I go to regedit and add that key, it fails with a new message:

Failed to create/open ..PISystem\PISDK\ServerAliases key

And if I create that key too, it fails with the same message again.

geirke

Another interesting thing I found is that my system has got both x86 and 64-bit components installed. E.g C:\Program Files\PIPC and C:\Program Files (x86)\PIPC both exist. When I open PISDKUtility from the 32-bit directory, it has the appropriate PI Server defined under connections, but when I open PISDKUtility from the 64-bit directory, it does not have any servers listed under connections. When I try to add a server, I get the message:

Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

The message is consistent and the same thing happens after a reboot.

rsun

Hi Geir,

Could you telnet port 5450 from your PI SDK Utility machine to your PI Data Archive to see if you are able to communicate? If you right click on the PI SDK Known Server table, could you try with ip address instead of server hostname? I also would check in the PI Data Archive PI Message log to see if your connection even get to the PI Data Archive first.

Thanks

Ricky

geirke

Hi Ricky,

From the 32-bit PI SDK Utility, I can connect without any issues. There is no telnet option that I can see in either the 64 bit or 32 bit utility.

I did manage to get a colleague to set up the PI SQL DAS on a server instead, which I was able to connect to, and retrieve data from the PI Data Archive.