7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2017 2:56 AM by mhalhead

EF values get erased after changing the base template

ernstamort

Hi,

Let' say I have an attribute BatchID on an event frame of level "Unit Procedure". Now when I change the base template to "Unit Procedure global" with the same attribute name and the attribute value on the event frames are erased.

The only way I found so far is to repopulate the value. Is there a work around, so that I change the template and it doe not erase the value on the frame?

• Re: EF values get erased after changing the base template
          rsun

Hi Ernst,

I checked on my own AF Server with event frame and I do not have the same behavior. I can rename my base template, and my event frame value did not change. What AF version do you have?

Do you have the same behavior when create a new AF database and test this?

Thanks.

Ricky

Roger Palmen

Did not test myself, but i would try to rename the attributes on the derived template, then change the base template and see which still contains values.

PS: not sure what you mean by "values are erased", are these values with no DataReference set?

ernstamort

Hi,

Yes these are static references. As example if I have the following frame with for example a "template 1" attached to it:

Frame

Attribute 1: value = "a"

Attribute 2: value = "b"

Attribute 3: value = "c"

And now a build a template 2:

Frame Template

Attribute 1: value = no default value since they can be different

Attribute 2: value = no default value since they can be different

Attribute 3: value = no default value since they can be different

And derive template 1 from 2, then all values in the event frames become empty ....

This is undesirable because you often want to pull some attributes from the event frame to a template.

rsun

Hi Ernst,

I do not have the same behavior.

Here is what I did, let me know if I missed anything.

1. Create a new AF template (template 1) with 3 attributes (Attribute 1, Attribute 2, Attribute 3), no default value with the attributes

2. Create a new Event Frame from template 1.

3. Assign a, b, c to Attribute 1, Attribute 2, Attribute 3 in the new Event Frame

4. Check in

5. Create a new AF template (template 2) with 3 attributes (Attribute 1, Attribute 2, Attribute 3), no default value with the attributes

6. Click on Event Frame template 2 and select Base Template template 1 (template 1 is 1 level above template 2)

7. Check in

8. Revisit the event frame, I still have a, b, c attached to the Attribute 1, Attribute 2, Attribute 3.

What version of AF do you have?

Thanks.

Ricky

ernstamort

Hi Rick,

It happens on 2014 and the newest version.

The main different is in 1-2)

The attributes on the event frame are not from the template they are attached by EMDVB. So the 1st template has no attributes configured.

But you test is good information as well ....!

Holger

mhalhead

Hi Ernst,

If you simply changed the name of the template then your attributes shouldn't be effected. Internally AF uses a GUID to link the template and EFs (not being an AF developer there is a certain level of guessing here). As you are relying on Extensions the "Allow Extensions" check box on the template must be selected.

If you are changing templates, i.e. you are changing from template1 to template2, the same is true. Your attributes aren't removed on condition that the "Allow Extensions" check box is checked.