6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2011 2:03 PM by spilon

PI AF and Batch MDB...

gkrueger

How are the PI AF database and the PI Batch Module databases related?  I'm new to PI and have been going through the training videos, but I haven't found a good explanation of the interrelation of these systems yet.  During install of AF, it asks about MDB and recommends NOT using it if you're doing a new install...it appears to be legacy...so I expected that the batch system in PI 2010 would use the AF database for its hierarchy, but when I watched the PI batch courses on line, which appear to be using PI 2010, they're still setting up units and modules in the MDB.   

Any assistance in clearing up my confusion is appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg K.

• Re: PI AF and Batch MDB...

Welcome to PI, Greg! As you correctly pointed out, the PI Module Database (MDB) is legacy and it is being superceded by the PI Asset Framework (PI AF). As you could see from the videos, the PI Batch Database is related to the MDB and this is still usable from MDB-based batch clients (not from PI AF directly), thanks to the AF Link Subsystem which maintains the linkage between PI Module Database and PI Asset Framework.

With that said, we are gradually introducing a new paradigm in the PI System, called PI Event Frames. PI Event Frames is based on the PI Asset Framework and, over time, will be the way to do PI Batch like stuff - and way more. As you can see on the PI System Roadmap (on our Technical Support website), we will be releasing PI Event Frames in our upcoming PI Server 2010 R3 launch - at this point we are talking about the back-end and the software development kit (SDK). In other words, programmatic access only. If you are interested, PI Event Frames as been available as a Community Technology Preview (CTP) here on vCampus for some time now... you can review the various materials (webinars, forum threads, blog posts, etc.) on the topic.

In the subsequent PI Event Frame "waves" we will be releasing client functionality as well as the other tools, generators, etc. to effectively supercede PI Batch. Please consult the PI System Roadmap regularly for updates on this.

BTW, you can consult the "MDB and AF Object Conversion Details" Appendix in the "PI MDB to AF Transition Guide", available on the vCampus Library (under vCampus PI Products Kit > Server Products > PI Server").

gkrueger

Steve,

OK, so it sounds like if I'm doing an install over the next few months of a system using PI BaGen to create PI batches and BatchView, etc. to view the data, then I still need to use the MDB to store my hierarchy and unit structure, and I probably shouldn't bother creating the parallel structure in AF at this point until the clients start using it more and I can switch everything over to that at that time using migration tools.  

Thanks for the info and clarifications,

Greg

Ahmad Fattahi

That's true Greg; existing PI Batch clients and interfaces leverage MDB. However, as Steve pointed out as well, if you want to be forward-looking and be prepared for upcoming developments and much better performance you want to get yourself familiar with and also try PI Event Frames as well.

Gregory Krueger

it sounds like if I'm doing an install over the next few months of a system using PI BaGen to create PI batches and BatchView, etc. to view the data, then I still need to use the MDB to store my hierarchy and unit structure, and I probably shouldn't bother creating the parallel structure in AF at this point until the clients start using it more and I can switch everything over to that at that time using migration tools.
                      Yes and no... basically, with PI Server 2010, the ModuleDB and the AF structures are kept in sync; batch clients access this "unified asset structure" as if it was ModuleDB, and more recent versions of non-batch clients access it as an AF.

Again I encourage you to read the PI Server 2010 and AF literature, especially the "ModuleDB to AF Transition Guide". Also, if you want to have a good phone conversation about this to clear up some details, please do not hesitate to contact our regular Technical Support team.