4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2011 9:34 PM by Ahmad Fattahi

Tie BatchView Trend Overlays to Batch State

jchapin

Using BatchView in ProcessBook has proven to be a very powerful tool for comparing batches by using the ability to quickly overlay PI data.  The ability to align batches to SubBatches has also been very helpful in lining batches up based on start times of Batches/SubBatches.  What seems to be the one missing piece is the ability to overlay data only when the Batch/SubBatch state is a gievn value (e.g. active).  I have been able to do this using DataLink by setting a filter that looks for the state to be active which works really well.  However, this proves to be very cumbersome as I am constantly resizing data fields, copying and pasting and filling, and it is not very good for viewing active batches.  For the batches that we need to compare it is very common for them to go to hold multiple times during the batch, which offsets the overlay.  Has anyone found an effective way to handle batch states when overlaying data?  Can this be done programmatically?

• Re: Tie BatchView Trend Overlays to Batch State
          Ahmad Fattahi

There are a couple of points here. First of all, please note that PI Batches are gradually considered legacy as the newer and much more powerful PI Event Frames -an AF-based technology- has entered the scene. So, you may want to have that in mind when considering new development against PI Batches.

Second, you can access PI Batches programmatically by using PI SDK. A quick and short example can be found in the last post of this thread. Also, PI SDK documentation explains and exemplifies working with Batches. You can look for PIBatchDB, PIBatch, PIBatches, and PIBatchList objects.

• Re: Tie BatchView Trend Overlays to Batch State
              jchapin

I am very aware of the greatly anticipated roll out of Event Frames and we are very excited to someday reap the benefits of a more versatile batch/event database system.  In the mean time we are very active PI Batch users and I do not see us being able to start migrating until there is at least an analog to PIBaGen and evtintf.  I have seen the downtime simulator and can see the potential of the new method for the creation of Event Frames but we do not have the resources to develop this on our own nor the necessity.

That being said, is there even a way to do what I am asking using Event Frames?  If not I would like to see it for EF as well.  Another thought I had would be the ability to shift individual batches by selecting the batch and dragging it to one side or the other while holding all other batches still.