6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2017 8:09 AM by Lorenzo.vento

Processbook AF Display Builder - Change AF Server and Database Name

Lorenzo.vento

Hi everybody

I have several Processbook displays build up with the AF Display Builder Tool. Due to the customer server configuration (Development, Qualification and Productive Servers), I need to change the Server and Database Name linked by the Processbook Displays.

I read a lot of article on the internet and it seems, that the best ways is to export the display as .SVG file and edit it with a text editor. This Procedure works fine with every linked PI Tag or Attribute.

However, if a symbol of the display is attached to a template or to an element, the .SVG will contain the related ID of the element, in order to guarante al the AF Display Builder functionality. Opening the modified .SVG in Processbook will generate an error message due to the wrong ID, as in the new server the ID is different.

As solution I tried to ungroup and group again the symbol attached to the element. The symbol, as well as the .SVG, will lose the ID reference to the element and the modification of the .SVG file works fine! However the display will lose the Update Symbol functionality of the Display Builder (due to the absence of ID reference), which is really useful for future update.

Did someone find a better way to change Server and Database name of Processbook display build up with AF Display Builder??

Best regards,

Lorenzo Vento

• Re: Processbook AF Display Builder - Change AF Server and Database Name
          jfeske

Hi Lorenzo,

The ProcessBook Support Tool allows you to edit the server referenced by the various symbols on a display. You may download it here: PI ProcessBook Support Tool

You may also want to see KB00340 - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on PI ProcessBook Support Tool 

dhollebeek

There's an updated PB Support Tool that handles AF.  Contact technical support and they'll give you a copy.  We are working on getting the updated tool on the website, but it needs to pass through the formal testing process first, which is quite extensive for ProccessBook.

Lorenzo.vento

Hi David

Thank you for your answer.

I contacted the technical support and they provided me the mentioned Tool.

Unfortunately I couldn't reach my goal. Yes, the tool allows to handle path linked to AF attributes and provides some functionality like replace server, replace path, ... BUT it doesn't affect the symbol (Container) connected to the AF element, that has been created with the AF Display Builder (functionality assign to template). This is the only one, that I can not change manually with a Search&Replace in the .svg file, due to the fact that it contains the GUID of the AF Element. All the rest is easily feasible also without the Support Tool.

Did I use the Support Tool wrong or is this functionality not supported? Do someone have others ideas?

Thanks and regards,

Lorenzo

dhollebeek

Ah yes, you're right.  The PB Support Tool doesn't support AF Display Builder.  I'll make sure that it gets listed as a requested feature, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will get scheduled unless we get a significant number of requests for this.  As you mention, it is in the SVG file in GUID format (this is intentional, just in case the element gets moved or renamed).

Since the information is all there in the symbol's NamedValues collections, it could be done programatically (either in VBA or as an add-in), but that's non-trivial.  Basically, you can query AF for the Element based on GUID and then you can map it to another AF Element.  If you do this, also update the "ObjectRestore" Named Value for the symbol.  That's the AF persist string.  Looking up Elements by AF persist string is actually faster than using the GUID, so we usually use those in our own code.  If you do go down this route, feel free to ping tech support if you need help with the code.

Alternatively, if you prefer to manipulate text files, it would be possible to export the relevant section of your AF database to either Excel or XML and then you could build a look-up table of GUID to AF Path.

Lorenzo.vento

Hi David

Thank you for your answer confirming me that the requested functionality is not supported. I'm still in contact with the Tech Support and for the moment I just get the same response.

The way with the VBA seems faisable, thank you for the suggestion and details. But I don't think I will implement this solution, it will cost too much effort. I will just detach symbols from elements (by ungrouping and grouping again) and handle them as a normal "Container", loosing the UpdateSymbol functionality of the PB Display Builder.

Please let me know if you will plan to intergate this functionality in the next version of PB Support Tool

Thank you for your support.

Best regards,

Lorenzo