5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2017 8:37 AM by Nigel_Roberts

Exercise 4

jkim

Use this space to discuss and ask questions about Exercise 4

• Re: Exercise 4
          Nigel_Roberts

Going through the setting up for Exercise 4 I get to the point where I open the PI SDK Utility to check the connection from PIINT1 and PISVR1.  Opening the app and clicking on the PISVR1 option under the connections option, I get a connection error due to a Winsock error... No such host is known.  Anyone else got this? I am suspect I missed something.  Cross checked the IP addesses on the trust identities on PISVR1, all appear to match PIINT1.  Any thoughts welcome!!!!

Thanks

Nigel

jkim

Hi David, a couple of thoughts/questions:

1. Have you checked the message logs on PIINT1 & PISRV1? Message logs often tell you what's going on behind the scene. If you are not familiar with the steps to check these, you can refer to this video: OSIsoft: How to View & Collect the PI Message Logs (PI SDK Logs) - YouTube . What do the logs tell us?

2. What are your trust specifications? (i.e. are you only using the IP address? hostname? application name? what is your netmask etc) - a screenshot could be helpful!

3. Which identifies are you using and what kind of permissions do they have on the PI Data Archive?

Nigel_Roberts

When we set up the trusts, in the videos it uses "SnapE" and "OPCpE" in the application Name.  Are these specific words that relate to a specific function, or can we use any name?  Do these link to an application on the interface machine?  How does this link to the functionality on the interface machine?

tsoutherland

Hi David,

"SnapE" and "OPCpE" are specific application names that can be viewed within the Network Manager Statistics in PI System Management Tools (SMT).  SnapE is associated with the apisnap.exe/API connection from the interface machine, while OPCpE is the application name associated with the OPC interface connection.  The point behind this is to make Trust security more secure by implementing what we call a "2+ Trust."  With an application name specified the trust only allows connections from a specific application on the specified machine (i.e. your interface) and removes the need for a completely open trust