I am monitoring the condition of pillow block bearings. I am using permanently mounted accelerometers for vibration analysis.
- Incipient Failure Detection – What happens to the piece of equipment when it begins to fail? Abnormal increase in vibration.
- What process variables does the failure influence? Machine speed
- What changes are noticeable first? Increase in temperature and vibration levels.
- How can you use these process variables to evaluate if the equipment is not functioning within normal operating conditions? Know the expected operating thresholds/limits for the equipment will in production.
- Condition Monitoring – What process parameters or diagnostic tests can you evaluate? Bearing temperature. Analyze the vibration data from the accelerometer.
- What are the equipment’s known limits that you can compare operating conditions to? Bearing operating temperatures. Acceptable vibration levels based on operating parameters i.e. load, temperature, speed, and environment.
- Can you use rate of change to determine when an asset is failing? Monitor abnormal increase in temperature or vibration within a specified time period.
- Condition Assessment – What inputs can you use to build the equipment’s criticality score? MTBF, MTTR, asset criticality, recent trends, and cause codes.
- Which factors should be more influential (weighted more) in the assessment?
For each of the factors, a case statement should be developed that compares the actual condition
indicator to a set of values and determines a result of a number between 0 and 10. A default or typical
value should be provided for missing data.
With this method, the result should be a number between 0 and 10. You can determine whether you
prefer 0 or 10 to be good or bad based on the evaluation of the case statement. The condition
assessment algorithm should be peer group specific and applied periodically to each asset within the
peer group and the result (CA and each factor) historized to provide the ability to associate and asset
with its CA and trend these values.
- Write out a sample assessment and rubric for each factor. At what final score do you think you should address an asset at using this sample equation?
- Condition Based Maintenance – How do you currently handle work orders? We currently prioritize them according to criticality and safety.
- Do you already have a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) in place? Yes
- Could you use run hours, run operations (number of starts\stops) or run tonnage (material handled) to trigger maintenance requests? Yes
Sounds like you are well on your way, I'll be interested to see what your project looks like!