4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2017 10:22 AM by Roger Palmen

Layer manipulation in PI Coresight

E01844

I am very new to PI Coresight and understand that it will not run VBA script. I have a script that will turn on certain layers in the PI Processbook display to show certain paths and stations. Is there a way to do this in Coresight? I am not finding any information on layers on the OSIsoft website. Any help would be appreciated. I would prefer not to make individual displays of each layer and link to those if I don't have to.

Thanks!

• Re: Layer manipulation in PI Coresight
          pmartin

Hi Greg,

Just to clarify - The operation that you're trying to achieve is toggling the visibility of multiple objects based upon an input (such as a button click)?

PI Vision/Coresight does have custom scripting abilities similar to VBA, however, interactions between multiple objects are not really feasible.  From your description it seems like the problem might be resolved with Collections, a new feature rolled out in PI Vision 2017, which allows you to switch the context of a particular set of symbols.

If I've missed the mark - could you elaborate a bit more on the issue you are trying to resolve?

E01844

I think it might be simpler than that. I can be a little more descriptive about it. It is a distribution systems map that shows all of our stations throughout an area. Each site is tied together by either 230KV lines, 115KV lines or 57KV lines. The overall map looks like this:

With only 230KV Distribution:

With only 115KV Distribution:

They are just lines, boxes, data and text. They are associated to certain layers in Processbook.

Thanks!

pmartin

Hi Greg,

I can't think of a good way to implement this in PI Vision/Coresight.  Perhaps someone else in the community can come up with a workaround.

This does seem to be an issue that has some traction.  There is an existing post on our feedback site, User Voice, requesting support for layering similar to ProcessBook.  I would suggest visiting the site and voting for the feature so that our developers know that this is something you want to see.

Roger Palmen

You can play around using multi-state coloring. Just set the color to transparent when a particular layer is not active. For a square shape the multi-state controls the fill color, and for text not the text color but the background color. So you must find a way to work around that. One approach is to place a borderless rectangle over these sections and use multi-state to overlay the background color.

A bit messy to build and maintain, but it works...