7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 2:16 PM by philco

PI AF attributes usage in PI Coresight.

philco

Hi,

Although we've ordered our copy of PI Coresight, like many of us, I didn't had the chance to test it. That's why I'm wondering how the PI AF attributes are displayed in the search pane of PI coresight. More precisely, do the attributes that do not have a valid data reference are displayed in the search results or they can be filtered out? Since we've got tons of unlinked AF attributes with empty data reference I fear that these will show up in the search results.

Thanks!

• Re: PI AF attributes usage in PI Coresight.
          tlebay

Hi Philippe,

PI Coresight will display all of the defined PI AF attributes regardless of the data reference.  We have been talking with the PI AF development team for a way to "mark" an AF object as unused so that it will not appear in client tools like PI Coresight.  I hope we will be able to support this feature in the not too distant future.

I am curious why you have so many unlinked AF attributes.  Is this because you are in the process of configuring this information or is there some other reason?  I think our planned feature will solve your problem but maybe you are doing something different we have not considered.

Tom LeBay

Hi Philippe,

PI Coresight will display all of the defined PI AF attributes regardless of the data reference.  We have been talking with the PI AF development team for a way to "mark" an AF object as unused so that it will not appear in client tools like PI Coresight.  I hope we will be able to support this feature in the not too distant future.

I am curious why you have so many unlinked AF attributes.  Is this because you are in the process of configuring this information or is there some other reason?  I think our planned feature will solve your problem but maybe you are doing something different we have not considered.

AF Attribute Extended Properties?  

http://vcampus.osisoft.com/discussion_hall/development_with_osisoft_sdks/f/28/t/795.aspx?PageIndex=2

philco

Hi Tom, thanks for the answer.

Tom LeBay

I am curious why you have so many unlinked AF attributes.

That's because of how we've built our element templates. We've included all the frequent attributes in them, but generally a specific element won't use all of them.

To give you an example, we're building our AF element hierarchy this way:

Plant / Process / Equipment / ISA code (instrumentation)

It's the ISA code template that holds most of the attributes definition. So let's say a "Belt Feeder" equipment has a "Rotation" ISA code. The rotation element template possesses 11 attributes templates but this specific belt feeder element uses only 3 of them, i.e. it has only 3 PI tags linked to it. That's why the other attributes are empty.

Tom LeBay

I hope we will be able to support this feature in the not too distant future.

I wish it will be available too because without that feature I'm wondering how we'll be able to use PI Coresight in an efficient way!

pcombellick

Phillipe,

For your example of 8 unused attributetemplates, is this a short term situation or is this a permanent configuration?  If this is a permanent configuration, would it be possible to subclass your elementtemplates?

How many total elements will you have when your configuration is complete?

How many templates will you have?

Regards,

Paul

philco

Hi Paul,

Paul Combellick

For your example of 8 unused attributetemplates, is this a short term situation or is this a permanent configuration?

This is a permanent situation.

Paul Combellick

If this is a permanent configuration, would it be possible to subclass your elementtemplates?

Interesting, I never thought of that. But I don't think it will help in this case, unless you subclass everything... Each element template would possess a single attribute... I'll think about it, although that would make a huge template hierarchy, very difficult to maintain.

Paul Combellick

How many total elements will you have when your configuration is complete?

Many thousands, I don't have an exact number. Note that it is completed, although it will never be finished, there's always new equipments.

Paul Combellick

How many templates will you have?

26 ISA codes element templates, which are the main general templates. Plus other special templates for specific uses.

tlebay

Thanks Philippe.  That is the main use case we have in mind for this feature.  I would like to reach-out to you when we are ready to implement something to be sure it meets your needs.  Would this be ok?