9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2017 1:12 PM by csteiner

Exercise 1

JRichardson

How would you like the completed exercise submitted?  Screenshot?

• Re: Exercise 1
          csteiner

Hi Gerald,

For any exercise you would like me to review please send a word document answering any questions from the exercise. Additionally, please do include screenshots showing you accomplished the exercise. Keep in mind I won't necessarily be able to understand your naming convention and formulas unless it is explained to me.

As a reminder, exercises do not have to be turned in (only the final project) to complete the course. However, I am happy to review and provide feedback for any exercise you do email me.

Does this answer your question?

Thanks,

Caleb

JRichardson

Yes that answer's my question. Thank You.

(Did not know exercises did not have to be submitted - but I plan too, just to make sure things look right to you)

csteiner

No problem! I look forward to taking a look at your work.

JRichardson

I hope I explained this with enough detail that is understandable.  ☺

Attached you will find the Word and Excel documents that explain exercise 1.

Thanks

Jerry

JRichardson

Well it appears that my attachments never made it in the previous reply.  SMH

csteiner

Hi Gerald,

Your attachments certainly did make it in the previous reply! For some reason I missed the notification about your replay. I'm very sorry about that! I will review your work today and provide a response as soon as possible.

My apologies.

Caleb

csteiner

Hi Gerald,

I have finally reviewed your Exercise 1. If you are wanting to receive feedback on other ones (again, not necessary but totally possible if you want to), I will hopefully not miss the alert and be able to respond much quicker. I apologize about this delay.

Your exercise results look really good! You chose the correct PE equations and the decisions you made for scheduling make sense.

I have a few follow up questions that could help you learn even more:

1. Have you thought of any possible causes of why your DataLink spreadsheet show all of the events at 1 AM instead of midnight?
                              2. For part 2, have you thought about why using y-17h and y+7h gave you results that appeared wrong, but using t-17 and t+7h gave you results that appeared correct?
                              3. For part 2, you mentioned you it all works without back filling. Does that mean you created Analysis Data References for the output attributes? If so, what are the performance differences and implications of an Analysis Data Reference versus an PI Point Data Reference as the output of an anlaysis?

Please let me know if you have further questions about any of this.

Thanks,

Caleb

JRichardson

Caleb,

Thank you for the feedback on exercise 1.

Follow up answers

1.        I assumed that because the calculation is set up to run daily at midnight that PI gives it a timestamp of an hour later but I still don’t know why.   I went back and double checked my values and I didn’t offset anything so I know it didn’t come from there.

2.       It didn’t take long to see that I was looking at the wrong 24 hour period. I was meaning to get today’s values (T) and not yesterday’s values (Y) ☺ I wasn’t thinking properly when I set that one up!!!!

3.       I think the answer to your question is that the calculated result is handled on the fly – so there is no (stored) history as there would be with writing the result to a PI Point Data Reference.  (which I learned real quick when I was making totalizers)

I was able to finish all the exercises while I was waiting for the response about exercise 1.  I did the work but didn’t do screenshots or make the word document because no matter how many times I tell the people I work with that I need time to work on this class (something always comes up).  The hardest part I had was the exercise on notifications.  I am using 2016 R2 and the videos for the previous version were of little help because of all the changes they made.  I was able to do a google search for the latest videos and those helped a ton, but I still couldn’t get any notifications to arrive in my e-mail.  After looking at how they set up my e-mail address to make sure it was correct (how could it be wrong they were using active directory and that should never be wrong) it was not wrong.  But when I looked at the send from address I noticed a instead of ***@adm.com<mailto:***@adm.com> it was ****@adm,com  (what a difference a comma makes)  glad that wasn’t my mistake ☺.  But I did get stuck on that one for the good part of a workday.  It is quite a good feeling whenever I am trying something new that I have never done before, so when I got 20 PI Alert e-mails within 15 minutes – I was extremely happy!!!

So I decided to move on to the Final Report.  I don’t have it all down quite yet as far as what I want to achieve.  I have started to make run hour totalizers for all the motors we get a status(run confirm) for and even used TimeGT for some motors that all we have is an Amp input on, that was easy enough to figure out, but holy cow, backfilling that took forever and I had to walk away because I think I bogged down the system.  Anyways – I know time is short for getting the final report in and I am up to my ears with requests here at the plant.  I’m going to spend every second they leave me alone to work on that, really hoping to be able to turn in a quality final report.

Thanks Again

Jerry

csteiner

Hi Jerry,

Here are my follow up responses to your answers:

1. My best guess is one of two things. One, the calculations are taking Daylight Savings Time into consideration. Two, the timezone of your client machine is different than the timezone of your AF server. Do you think either of these is the case?

2. Yep, you're right! No problem, that kind of thing happens all of the time. That's why it is always a good idea to review the results, which it appears you are very good at.

3. Yes, you are correct in your response. A PI Point Data Reference will calculate the results on your Analytics server. An analysis data reference attribute will calculate the results ON THE CLIENT machine the results are requested on. This means every time a client machine requests an analysis data reference attribute, the client has to spend time running the calculation. With a PI Point Data Reference all of the processing is taken care of by a server which is typically built for high processing. So, if you're having some slowness due to your backfilling, theoretically, that should only be a one time cost. After that, the data is stored in your PI Data Archive and never has be to calculated again! That is one of the benefits of using a PI Point Data Reference.

Sounds like you've done some great troubleshooting work during this course! That's awesome. The ability to search and find material that will assist you with what you are trying to do in PI is actually a very useful skill. On top of that, being able to use that material to troubleshoot and resolve any issues is almost even more useful. Thus, I am very impressed with what you "taught" yourself on your notifications.

I hope you have time to finish the final project. Keep me updated on your status. If you don't quite get it finished in time, just let me know and we'll work something out.

Thanks,

Caleb