10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2017 2:52 PM by Asiebert

PI AF Standalone Application

Asiebert

Is there a way to use the PI AF SDK without having the client tools installed?

Working on an interface application for work and would like to avoid any additional installs if possible.

• Re: PI AF Standalone Application
          Rick Davin

Hi Andrew,

By client tools, do you mean PI System Explorer, or things like ProcessBook or DataLink?  Years ago the there was an (AF SDK client only) download available.  Nowadays it is bundled with PI System Explorer.

Asiebert

By client tools I mean the AF SDK Client, and I would like to install only what is essential.

I'd like to Develop a C# application that can connect to my PI Server that doesn't require any additional downloads/installs on the PC that the application is deployed to.

If I have to install something, is there a way I can install the Client without admin rights?

Rick Davin

The AF SDK Client kit includes PSE, but there may be a way to have it not load PSE.  Or you may be able to remove PSE afterwards.  More importantly however, the installation does require Admin permissions and it will also install all necessary prerequisites and that includes .NET Framework 4.6.2.

Asiebert

That is unfortunate.

This is an application for a client and its not feasible/possible to install all those prereqs (mainly 4.6.2) on every computer we need it.

I'd like to find a way to mimic an install programatically, but that too would require admin rights to edit the Local Key registry. The end goal is to have something I can stick on a flash drive and run on any computer.