5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2012 10:44 AM by MichaelSaucier

No Flash on Mobile Devices => Silverlight ?

wpurrer
        • Re: No Flash on Mobile Devices => Silverlight ?
          Ahmad Fattahi

So, do you care yourself Wolfgang if Silverlight 5 is the end of the road for Silverlight?

wpurrer

Yes sure ... we are constantly evaluating if we are one the right track with tools we are using or planing to use or developing, for example:

VBA can't be used for new applikations. (you don't get a license from microsoft....) ... if we buy a new product which uses VBA what it's their strategy?

Same is with Coresight and Sliverlight.

But that was just a post I found on the internet .... and I wanted to see the reaction of Osisoft ... so nice play .. Ahmad

Wolfgang P

Yes sure ... we are constantly evaluating if we are one the right the track with tools we are using or planing to use, for example:

VBA can't be used for new applikations. (you don't get a license from microsoft....) ... if we buy a new product which uses VBA what it's their strategy?

Same is with Coresight and Sliverlight.

Also, PI Web Parts has gone the silverlight route.  Someone at OSIsoft must be miffed with Microsoft.  (Where is the link to that HTML5 vs Silverlight thread... )

I don't think Coresight will only be silverlight based, I reckon we will see other front ends to the Coresight server.

Lonnie Bowling

I fully expect silverlight to merge into window 8 metro apps at this point.  There will be a need for x-browser support for a time, but long term I think the model will shift towards HTML5 for that.  I think many full featured sliverlight apps, like coresite, will be converted to WinRT down the road.  It is a good idea if you are writing applications today to have good separation between your services and UI for distributed applications, this allows for easier adoption of new UI platforms down the road.  Many new applications actually have more that one UI now, like Web and Native/Mobile.

MichaelSaucier

We would argue that HTML5 will come sooner rather than later as it is one of the fastest shifts we have seen after decades in the software business (including making mobile apps for visualizing PI data).  We already have to support over 500 devices and new ones are being invented almost daily, so it becomes a very easy choice because the common element is the browser.  This used to provide a sub-par experience, but with HTML5 it gets 90% of the way to a full app.  For example, look at this screen on any device (it changes based on the device).  This is live PI data BTW.  demo.transpara.com/.../kpis.aspx