4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2017 9:03 AM by Sreeni13

PI Datapipe

Sreeni13

Hello everyone,

I recently started working with PI Datapipe and i would like to know, is there any way by which i can omit the same repeated values from the archived values through the mydatapipe.GetUpdateEvents() method?

• Re: PI Datapipe
          Rick Davin

The purpose of the data pipe is to send notices to subscribers of any and all changes regarding a data stream be it a PIPoint or an AFAttribute using a data reference that implements DataPipe. 

Your app that has subscribed to a data pipe and is calling GetUpdateEvents can read all the events being sent to the data pipe and may filter or ignore consecutive repeated values and just keep the oldest timestamp.  But that is all up to you as the developer.  You can't just echo what's in the pipe to the console window.  You have to step through every value returned and decide whether your app should keep it or toss it aside.

If you are implementing a data pipe, could you have your implementation ignore consecutive repeated values?  Yes, but now your data pipe doesn't accurately represent the data source stream. 

4 of 4 people found this helpful
              pmartin

To add to what Rick said, you may want to look at your Exception settings.  You can avoid duplicate values in the snapshot and therefore avoid sending them over the DataPipe.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                  Sreeni13

Actually I was updating the values through my code that is why even though the values were same and  I had exception settings to avoid  the same values, it was hitting the datapipe but when i was running it through a dummy tag it didn't happen.Thanks for the info anyways.

Roger Palmen

I think the misunderstanding is about archived values versus the datapipe.

The datapipe contains all data sent to a PI Point from interfaces, clients, etc. for potential storage. Simply said, these are all updates to the snapshot values. These are typically many more events than end up in the archive due to compression settings. So archived events is a subset of the datapipe events.

3 of 3 people found this helpful