7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2011 3:19 AM by mhalhead

Creation of batche without pibagen

Helle

Hi

I would like to know which approach is the best when I want to create pibatches and piunitbatches in PI without using pibagen?

I don’t want to use pibagen because the MES system is creating the batches and I want the 2 systems to be identical.

I want to take the batch information located in 2 tables in an Oracle DB and create the same batches in PI.

Regards Helle

• Re: Creation of batche without pibagen

Hi Helle,

Do you already make use of pibagen within your infrastructure?  Thus use PI Batch View.

Or have you considered representing the batches from your MES as Event Frames?  (Ultimately PI Batch will become Event Frames based.)

Helle

No pibagen is not used in this pi system. PI is currently only used for trends and events.

I have thought about using Event Frames, but I am not sure if it's ready for use with batches. Is it possible to use Event Frames with the client tools, Processbook and Datalink e.g.

andreas

Hi Helle, EventFrames are not supported yet for ProcessBook and Datalink. If you don't want to use PIBAGEN - you can create batches by code or by PI OLEDB.

Helle

An exiting task ;)

So the conclusion is Event Frames is still future and I go for creating batches in MDB using either PISDK or PIOLEDB.

cnelson

Hi Helle,

Hope all is well and good to hear from you.  If you don't mind me asking what is the MES vendor.  We have adopted a strategy to pull the Batch information from MES systems.  We currently support archiving Batch Data from Werum PAS|X, Emerson Syncade, and Performix xMES (beta version).  These interfaces use the same framework used by our Batch Interfaces.  We would be willing to create a Batch Interface for the MES source system if its an commercial product.

If not, I would suggest OLEDB or PI SDK.  We do have plans to make a public interface for storing Batch Data through our Batch Interfaces.  We are thinking of using BatchML as the data structure and exposting this through a file based interface or a web service based interface.  What are your thoughts around this?

Cheers - Chris

Helle

Hi Chris,

Likewise :) We have been through this before - The MES system is developed by some of my colleagues in NNE Pharmaplan and used by Novo Nordisk.

I have to admit that I do not know BatchML, so if you could bring me up to date I would appreciate it very much.

If I use PISDK or PIOLEDB to create batches I will store the batches in a pibatch/piunitbatch storage tag. Is it possible for me to do this in a way so I don't have to change it when the Event Frames are implemented.

mhalhead

Helle,

WBF.org

BatchML is an XML implementation of the ANSI/ISA 88 family of standards (ISA-88), known internationally as IEC 61512. BatchML consists of a set of XML schemas written using the World Wide Web Consortium's XML Schema language (XSD) that implement the models and terminology in the ISA-88 standard.

I would suggest going to the WBF sites for more info. You can downloaded the specification from this site free of charge; all 11MB of it.

I took a look at BatchML awhile ago for one of our operations; I must admit it just scared me. The BatchML is like most the general industry specifications; it tries to solve everyone’s problems which make it complex. To the best of my knowledge OSIsoft doesn't have an interface for BatchML.

Helle Lamhauge

If I use PISDK or PIOLEDB to create batches I will store the batches in a pibatch/piunitbatch storage tag. Is it possible for me to do this in a way so I don't have to change it when the Event Frames are implemented.

Personally I don't think that this will be possible; EF has a large amount of additional feature. I gather that OSIsoft will implement a solution similar in nature to AF-Link for PI Batch; OSIsoft is pretty good about not just abandoning you. This would provide a mechanism for migrating the solution.