8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2011 7:59 PM by RJKSolutions

Visualizing Event Frames

Rick Davin

With the advent of AF 2.4, many are excited about the production release of event frames.  Naturally this leads to the question of "How will we visualize event frames"?  At Nalco Chemical Company, we've devised 2 ways of visualizing event frames (both shown on the one plot below).  The first way is to show the event frame itself as a bracketed bar.  The other way to write a custom data referenced that takes our transactional event frame data and converts it to a time-series average, which can be trended.

Besides sharing this graphic, it's also a great lead in for shameless self-promotion for a vCampus Live! presentation by my colleage, Randy Esposito, and myself on Thursday, Dec 1, at 2:15PM in Track 4 (Presidio Room).  Our presentation will be on how we use event frames to model our corrosion coupon data.

7534.Event-Frame-Visual.png

Of course, any act of shameless self-promotion means we don't share everything here and now.  There was a lot of pain points to overcome in producing this plot, which will remain as a topic of our presentation.  If you'd like to know more, please come see us on Thurs, Dec 1.  Though I will tease you with the lack of some details, I will address some superficial items.

For one, the plot is a custom WinForm produced in VS 2010.  The red items are event frames.  You will note we sometimes have overlapping event frames, so we added a little eye-candy by making the red horizontal line thicker to denote overlapping.  The blue line is the calculated average of the event frames.  This average is produced by a custom data reference.  The white area is the timeContext of the plot.  Since event frames can begin or end outside of the timeContext, we include them in the gray area of this particular visual.   

That said, we hope to see you there when we cover some more details.

• Re: Visualizing Event Frames
          cnelson

Rick,

Looks great and thanks for sharing.  Really looking forward to seeing the final presentation next week and hearing these user scenarios; especially around visualizing event frames.  This is exactly what we are concentrated on now that Event Frames will be released in PI AF 2010 R3!!!

And of course, we can continue the discussion over some pints!!!!

Cheers - Chris

Nice, looking forward to your presentation!

Chris Nelson

we can continue the discussion over some pints!!!!
            What?? Who said we'd be having geeky chats over beer during vCampus Live! next week?? [;¸)]

BTW Rick, I will also be interested in talking about you vision/needs for Event Frames within the context of PI Web Services, if that's something you would like. As we work on shaping what this will look like in the PI Web Services 2012 release, we want to hear from eventual users and validate what we think... See you next week!

Rick Davin

@Rhys, it will be nice to finally get to meet you face-to-face.  Personally, I'd rather attend Lonnie Bowling's presentation on notifications, but his timeslot is in direct conflict with the Nalco corrosion coupon talk.  But since they have limited seating, hopefully we can grab a few of Lonnie's spillover.

ccoen

Nice job, Rick.  I'm really looking forward to your presentation.  Sounds like it will be standing room only and it I bet it will be an interesting discussion among the vCampus crowd during your talk and, of course, over a pint.  See you next week!

Lonnie Bowling

Hi Rick,

Very nice!  I will try and make it. I'm very interested in visualization and event frames so your topic is great.  Thanks for the preview.   BTW, my presentation is actually the first day at 11:30, track 4, it is titled "The Perfect Storm: PI System, Cloud Services, and Windows Phone 7".  It does involve using notifications.

Rick Davin

@Rhys, it will be nice to finally get to meet you face-to-face.  Personally, I'd rather attend Lonnie Bowling's presentation on notifications, but his timeslot is in direct conflict with the Nalco corrosion coupon talk.  But since they have limited seating, hopefully we can grab a few of Lonnie's spillover.

Certainly will, Rick.  See you there.