7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 11:13 AM by RJKSolutions

Is PI System Explorer extensible

neilg

Hi All,

Just checking is PI System explorer extensible? Are there any plans to allow extensibility of it in the future if it is not?

It would be awesome if we could write addins for PI System Explorer.

Cheers, Neil.

• Re: Is PI System Explorer extensible
          cmanhard

Sorry, but there are no plans to allow 3rd party extensions to PI System Explorer.

MvanderVeeken

Neil,

Do you have any special cases in mind you would like to see added to PI System Explorer?

Or is the question of allowing plugins a general one?

neilg

Hi Michael,

The question was a general one as I had some ideas of plug-ins that could be developed to extend the functionality of PSE.

Cheers, Neil.

MvanderVeeken

Neil Goundar

The question was a general one as I had some ideas of plug-ins that could be developed to extend the functionality of PSE.

Thanks for answering. Then I think Chris Manhard's answer closes the discussion

Michael @ OSIsoft

Neil Goundar

Thanks for answering. Then I think Chris Manhard's answer closes the discussion
                          It depends... if these ideas would benefit our user base as a whole, then I think it would be appropriate to discuss these and see whether it makes sense for OSIsoft to tackle.

MvanderVeeken

Steve Pilon

It depends... if these ideas would benefit our user base as a whole, then I think it would be appropriate to discuss these and see whether it makes sense for OSIsoft to tackle.

You are very right there. I can see a lot of possible options here.

• 'Feature' plugin, that adds functionality like 'PI Eventframes' does in PI System Explorer
                              • 'Element' level plugin, let's you do custom things on an element
                              • 'Attribute' level plugin, let's you do custom things on an attribute
                              • etc.

I think a lot will be on automating custom 'labor intensive' actions that require multiple actions to complete and tend to be repeated often by administrators or developers.

Abacus plugin

Audit plugin

Statistics plugin (like PI Net Mgr Stats in SMT, but include details from the AF Sandbox - number of outstanding changes, etc.)  Actually, just get rid of the AF sandbox

Scripting plugin, where the domain of the scripts are limited to the connected AF Database or PI System.  Powershell based or Abacus syntax based?  Users can be restricted to 'read-only' scripting access, i.e. not be able to butcher the hierarchy by some unintended coding.

Then control plugin access from the AF Server, for example you don't want all PSE users to load the Audit plugin.