5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2017 1:42 PM by Rick Davin

PI Event Frames initiators

Nigel_Roberts

Can I configure an Event frame to start from a manual updated Attribute, or must it be via a PiPoint?  For example, if I want to toggle a bit from 1 to 0 then back again, is it possible for the event frame to tell me how long I took.  Just to use a real value that is connected to a part of a running plant difficult to test the overall functionality of any operation.  In the Video it shows linking the attribute DURATION to STATUS.  So I want to link STATUS to a <None> data reference?  or do I create a point then use Create and update? then reference a pipoint??? Although I tried that and it didn't go to well!

Thanks

David

• Re: PI Event Frames initiators
          Dan Fishman

You can create an EF by toggling an AF Attribute to manually start an Event Frame. There shouldn't be any issues.  If the attribute is set to be a configuration item, recall it needs a full check in.

Recently, %Duration% was introduced as a substitution parameter for the string builder data reference and this is an easy way to display the Event Frame duration.  Rick Davin goes into great detail on all of the ways to set duration in his blog series: Duration attribute on an Event Frame - Part 1

Also, you might want take a look at this: Event Frame "Duration" attribute

https://pisquare.osisoft.com/thread/2896?q=Event%20Frame%20duration

I used the below a lot in the past as the PI Point configuration to obtain the duration (you can change UOM if needed).  Note, this only works if the tag is valid.  I use sinusoid.

\\server\SINUSOID; TimeMethod=NotSupported; TimeRangeMethod=Count; TimeRangeMinPercentGood=0; UOM=

Rick Davin

Hi David,

For testing purposes, you could possibly get by with a manually updated AFAttribute (not based on a PIPoint).  You would run this Periodically or on demand with Evaluate.  If you want Event-Triggered analyses, you will need a PIPoint or at the very least the input Attribute will need to have a data reference that supports data pipes.

Nigel_Roberts

Ok thanks, so leading on to this, is it possible to pull the event frame duration onto the Element Attribute tab of the unit that has initiated the event?  So I don't have to go into the Event Frames to see the actual duration?

Rick Davin

Hi David,

It's a tad bit more complicated than that.  When you say "pull the event frame duration", the use of the word "the" kind of implies one event frame.  But really there would be many, many event frames - in fact there would be one event frame for each and every time the trigger value is 1. 

If it were me, I would not use event frames for this use-case.  I would most likely use an ACE calculation to have it calculate the duration and persist the output result back to a PIPoint, and that PIPoint would reside on the element of interest.  Why ACE?  Because I want precise control over the output timestamp, which is not possible with Asset Analytics.  You would think the timestamp should be at the end of the time range, that is to say that instant when the 1 changes to 0.  The problem is the event for 1 was prior and now it's disassociated with the duration event when it became 0.  I would actually want the output trigger not to be the instant when it went from 1 to 0, but rather the instant when it went from 0 to 1, so that both the trigger and its duration are aligned.