7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 5:49 PM by RJKSolutions

PI Roadmap - detailed report

TelventDMS

Hello,

I was not able to find more details regarding Development Roadmap regarding PI Server. Is official roadmap from tech support site most detailed report that we can have?

http://techsupport.osisoft.com/Techsupport/NonTemplates/roadmapDetail.aspx?product=PI%20Server

What I need to know is if there is going to be some improvement regarding 'questionable' tag of PIValue. At the moment, together with timestamp and value one can set questionable tag that indicates suspicious data quality. What we need is having more codes instead of boolean true/false. Example: suspended, bad data, stale data etc.

We are aware that we can store this info as digital set in separate tag bug would like to have together with value at single tag.

Thanks,

Branko

• Re: PI Roadmap - detailed report
          MvanderVeeken

Branko Dalcekovic

What I need to know is if there is going to be some improvement regarding 'questionable' tag of PIValue. At the moment, together with timestamp and value one can set questionable tag that indicates suspicious data quality. What we need is having more codes instead of boolean true/false. Example: suspended, bad data, stale data etc.

Did you consider using Annotations for this?

TelventDMS

Hello, thanks for the answer.

Of course we did, but we have many fast inserts and every insert have assigned quality code so annotations are not appropriate (separate files on disk and cannot guarantee being persisted).

Branko Dalcekovic

Telvent DMS

www.telventdms.com

MvanderVeeken

With an on certainty bordering assumption that OSIsoft will not implement the improvements you suggested for the questionable flag we have to look for good solutions to your issue.

The solutions I see:

Annotations provide a way of adding extra information to PI Values, but this option has been discarded due to performance and data consistancy.

Storing the data in two seperate tags would provide a very scalable solution. You can tie the values up in an AF Element.

You could also have a look at PI Event Frames, and see if there is a possibility this could fit your requirements?

Michael @ OSIsoft

Storing the data in two seperate tags would provide a very scalable solution.
                      That would be my recommendation, for many technical reasons.

TelventDMS

PI Annotations are not suitable for our problem unfortunately.

Separate tags were my recommendation and most of customers accept it, those that do not have large amount of PI Points. Ones that have many Points do not wish to pay for additional tag for quality, so I am in problem as developer.

I have several work around solutions but neither of them is perfect.

I am not familiar with PI Event Frames. I'll check if that could help us.

Branko

www.telventdms.com

MvanderVeeken

Branko Dalcekovic

I have several work around solutions but neither of them is perfect.

Unfortunatly that is the case with most workarounds . Are you willing to eloborate a little bit on this? I'm curious how you solved it.

Branko Dalcekovic

Yeah, I definitly think that this could partially help you.

Branko Dalcekovic

If you think about AF and modelling your assets there then you can leverage Event Frames to provide a more efficient layer for the type of data quality you are talking about.  For example, if you have a period of time that a particular piece of equipment is not behaving normally then you can can create an Event Frame (based on some data quality EF template), associate it with the Element that represents that piece of equipment, and then apply your own consuming logic to know that during that period of time all values associated with the equipment are "questionable" - you set an Attribute (may be an Enumeration Set data type) of the Event Frame to indicate the level of questionable data.  You then an a more efficient 1 to many relationship between an Event Frame and PI Values, plus the EF won't affect data throughput for inserting values.  Obviously you can overlap EFs for different assets, multiple levels of questionable data, etc.

Head over to the EF forum for more details or specific questions on EFs.