12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2012 9:51 PM by RJKSolutions

Mobile is getting bigger and bigger!

Ahmad Fattahi

Check this link out. It says 6.8 million iOS and Android devices got activated over Christmas!

• Re: Mobile is getting bigger and bigger!
          MichaelSaucier

Thanks for the link - This is not just hype.  As mobile software developers we can honestly say the interest in what we do has just gone through the roof in just the last few months, especially putting real-time operations data like PI on smartphones and tablets.  FWIW, BlackBerry is still the largest mobile platform for our users, but is quickly being eclipsed by iPhones, iPads, Android and even Windows Phone appears to be growing nicely.

Go mobile!!

Ahmad Fattahi

Thanks Michael. In your day to day experience how do you see Windows phone growing (you touched on it briefly above). Do you see some meaningful traction there competing seriously with Android and iOS? Why would one choose Windows phone over the more established platforms?

MichaelSaucier

We see Windows Phone traction outside of the traditional process industries (e.g. Retail and Banking) more than within Process.  Certainly it is playing catch-up and both the Metro innovations and the Nokia Lumia are causing some gains posted recently.  We love the Win Phone 7 UI and it makes Visual KPI look great.  Sadly it has a long way to go to see the adoption rates of Android and iOS.

Regardless, we see competition and innovation in this space as good for Transpara and OSIsoft!  Since we are platform-independent, Mobility adoption means more chances to increase the reach of PI System data to users not traditionally aware of the value of PI.  More Eyes on PI is good for all of us.

Ahmad

Why would one choose Windows phone over the more established platforms?
                    Just use it and you'll see  

On the flip side, there's not nearly as many apps as there are for iPhone and Android... but if, like me, you're not into having a gazillion useless apps on your phone, then WP7 might very well be for you.

MvanderVeeken

I recently had the opportunity to attend 2 deep dive sessions into the philosophy behind the Metro concept. It is a really well thought trough paradigm. It's a very modern way of looking at user interfaces, and is very practical.

Especially when thinking about devices with a smaller screen (phones, tablets), this paradigm really gets the most out of that small area.

I'm personally really enthusiastic about Metro for mobile devices. I have yet to really experience the added value on a laptop/workstation without touch (Windows 8). At this point I don't see the added value over the traditional Windows UI, but this could be due to lack of experience and getting used to it.

Ahmad Fattahi

Thanks Michael for sharing. Yes, I totally agree that the metro style is very neat. One argument, that I tend to agree with is that "touch" is intrinsically more natural than mouse/keyboard. Therefore, even for larger displays touch will become a standard interface sooner or later. It doesn't mean that mouse/keyboard will disappear but they will be complemented by touch. Here is the final proof to my assertion!

Lonnie Bowling

Having worked with the windows phone for a while now I'm really excited about metro on windows 8.  I think that touch screens will be the norm for laptops and my first windows 8 PC will have to have one.  I actually think the hot keys on a keyboard could work very nicely, at least for screen navigation.  This is how the X-box works... time to go check...

I'm a firm believer that Microsoft is really aiming the green side at tablets.

MvanderVeeken

Ahmad

Thanks Michael for sharing. Yes, I totally agree that the metro style is very neat. One argument, that I tend to agree with is that "touch" is intrinsically more natural than mouse/keyboard. Therefore, even for larger displays touch will become a standard interface sooner or later. It doesn't mean that mouse/keyboard will disappear but they will be complemented by touch. Here is the final proof to my assertion!

I think there are two or three distinctive types of users. The average users will benefit greatly from touch. Developers however will not. Having two hands on a keyboard is still the most productive way to go. I even hate the fact that I 'have' to use the mouse this much . I'm don't think console vs GUI have made this type of users more productive. I would argue that it hasn't. With a touch based interface, I think productivity for this kind of user (developer) will even decrease more, as you would be expected to use both hands.

Having a keyboard, and knowing your (console) commands and keyboard shortcuts is still the most productive way.

But this is for a niche of users. Most users (office users, casual internet users and casual gamers) will benefit greatly from touch. Having a unified interface (PC, Tablet, Phone, Xbox, etc) will only lessen the learning curve of using a new device. It will probably also mean much better interoperability for applications (which is a very good thing for us developers).

I'm looking forward to the adoption of Windows 8 and Metro, but I'm a bit 'worried' about my own productivity and if I will be 'forced' to switch to something that seems less productive.