15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2012 2:25 PM by BenSmith

Data import from PI historian(newbie)?

BenSmith

Hello there,

Some of our customers were using PI historian( i assume it refers PI Server?) and want to import data from the PI historian directly in to our application.

So we want develop an import interface using PI native support(PI SDK) through that, users can directly connect to PI historian and import the data.

Now the problem is, we dont have access to any of the PI servers and  dont have much idea about PI points, tags, notifications except the theory knowledge.

I already downloaded PI SDK and installed in my machine, now how i should proceed further?

My understanding about this task is(Please correct me if i'm wrong), 

1. Connect to the PI server (aka PI historian?)

2. List out all the available tags( what if there are thousands of tag, performance wont be problem while traversing through all? )

3. Connect to the user selected tag and import the associated PI data points

Please clarify my doubts and thanks for your help :)

• Re: Data import from PI historian(newbie)?
          hanyong

Hi Rajani,

If the data that your client wishes to import are time-series data, then yes the PI Historian would basically be referring to the PI Server.

Rajani Davuluri

Now the problem is, we dont have access to any of the PI servers and  dont have much idea about PI points, tags, notifications except the theory knowledge.

Your vCampus subscription does include a development PI System license, hence you can download the PI Server from the Download Center and use that for development and testing.

Your understanding of what is required to achieve the task is pretty accurate. That is basically the basic steps required to access the time-series information from PI Server using our Data Access products (including the PI SDK).

If you are not familiar with PI System products and how to use the PI SDK to access the information that you want. I would recommend that you look at the Training Center section. We have training videos on Youtube that can bring you up to speed on PI System knowledge (Thanks to OSIsoft Training Team) and We have made the training materials for PI Application Development Course available as well, so you can go through the materials yourself and learn more PI SDK and other Data Access products.

BenSmith

Hi Han Yong,

Thanks for your quick response!

In the download center, i can see "PI Server 2010 SP1 (x86)" . Is this refers PI Server(I was thinking this is just service pack update to the PI Server)?

And also will the PI server comes with pre-stored data for testing purpose or i need to create some data points?

Once again thanks for your answers and wish you a happy new year :)

andreas

Rajani - yes, this is the PI Server (I see that the name is somehow misleading :-) ). It comes with some simulator tags that generate some data to play with.

BenSmith

@Andreas, I've downloaded PI server and it seems AF server is prerequisite for installing PI Server... So as of now i'm downloading PI prerequisite package, but im not sure whether it contains AF server.  Also i could see one more Asset framework(PI Asset Framework (PI AF) 2010 R3), is this one i need install?

andreas

Rajani - the prerequisites do *not* contain AF, as you already mention you need to download and install PI AF 2010. You might want to watch this webinar to get you started.

You also might want to take a look at this webinar.

BenSmith

I'm back with few queries...

We dont have access to real-time PI servers and use cases for the PI Client we are developing.  

1. Any guidelines and issues needs to considered for the PI Client we are developing? The data imported will be used for multivariate analysis.

2. Will PI points support array data type(for eg, spectrum from the analysers or spectrometer). The sample tagsearch dialog lists out only one value (float, integer, string...). There is no array type. Is something we are missing here?

3. It also shows BLOB type.  How we will know what type of binary object or structure? Or this is just user defined one and cannot be supported in a generic PI Client?

4. Do we need to support importing data from AF server? or supporting PI Server alone is enough?

5. What if there is thousands of tags and user wants to import only few tags from that? Listing and traversing through all the tags will hit the performance right?

6. While we accessing real time data, how to synchronize multiple tags which has various update rate? for eg, Temperature sensor measuring every 10 secs and Pressure is measured in 5 seconds gap.

The above queries might be basic one or not relevant here, but as i mentioned we dont have real time experience in the PI server and your help is much appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

andreas

Rajani Davuluri

1. Any guidelines and issues needs to considered for the PI Client we are developing? The data imported will be used for multivariate analysis.

Make yourself familiar with how PI is different to "standard" database. Understand how time series data in PI is different to a table of data in a relational database: http://vcampus.osisoft.com/auditorium/m/webinars/8355.aspx

Use async calls. Choose the technology that fits your use case best - PI OLEDB, PI SDK, AF SDK.

Rajani Davuluri

2. Will PI points support array data type(for eg, spectrum from the analysers or spectrometer). The sample tagsearch dialog lists out only one value (float, integer, string...). There is no array type. Is something we are missing here?

No - the majority of PI Points are simple types: Integer, Float, Digital, String

Rajani Davuluri

3. It also shows BLOB type.  How we will know what type of binary object or structure? Or this is just user defined one and cannot be supported in a generic PI Client?

This is a custom type, you will not be able to support that in a generic client. To be honest - I have not seen BLOBs in the field yet

Rajani Davuluri

4. Do we need to support importing data from AF server? or supporting PI Server alone is enough?

Depends. By using the AF SDK with RDA you will be able to extract data from both PI and AF. If your customer extensively uses AF it might be easier to identify the tags to transfer based on assets and/or templates.

Rajani Davuluri

5. What if there is thousands of tags and user wants to import only few tags from that? Listing and traversing through all the tags will hit the performance right?

There are various options to filter that list of tags upfront. If you can't define a simple rule based on a naming conveniton, you will have to select the tag one by one. If you choose to support AF as above, you might be able to take advantage of assets and templates that the user has defined.

Rajani Davuluri

6. While we accessing real time data, how to synchronize multiple tags which has various update rate? for eg, Temperature sensor measuring every 10 secs and Pressure is measured in 5 seconds gap.

If you are new to PI - I suggest you start with the youtube videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/OSIsoftLearning

Beside the different sampling rates from the interface - there is exception & compression - this will result in only significant data stored in PI - or you may say a variable scan rate. If you scan a pressure every 5 seconds, you can not count on compressed data in the PI System every 5s. You realy need to  make yourself familiar with the PI System and why time series data is special - see the OSIsoft learning channel here and here.