1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 20, 2017 7:17 PM by gmichaud-verreault

PI BACnet for closed loop solution

KrunalLokhande

Hi Everyone,

I have few queries with regards to PI BACnet interface and PI System. Hope someone can help me with them.

I am developing a project where we have to monitor and control BACnet systems and take necessary actions wherever necessary. I need to confirm if PI BACnet interface provides the support for closed loop solution where i monitor its devices and attributes and communicate back to devices to control them.

1. OUTPUT PI Points: Can I have PI Points as output i.e. They send output to devices. I want to confirm if we can use PI Systems to interact with devices using interfaces or connectors. Is it possible to send some input to the device to control it?
      2. PI BACnet Interface: Can PI BACnet interface automatically discovers all devices and create PI points. Can I control BACnet devices using PI BACnet interface?
      3. Other Interfaces or Tools: Are there any other tool or interface available or option to achieve a closed loop solution.
      4. Predictive Analytics: Does PI System support explicit support for Predictive analytics?

Thanks,

Krunal Lokhande

• Re: PI BACnet for closed loop solution
          gmichaud-verreault

Hi Krunal,

Important limitation:

The PI System is not meant to be used as a control system. Please read through KB01295 - Risks of using the PI System as an input for a control system

Output PI Points

Ouput points to the BACnet device are supported. See page 57 in the User Guide for additional details

Automatic Discovery

The BACnet interface does not support autodiscovery with AutoPointSync and will require tag creation/configuration. I would suggest taking a look at the PI Connector for BACnet which will perform and an autodiscovery and will handle the PI Point / AF Element / AF attributes creation but it does not support output points.

Other interfaces or tools

See point above

Predictive analysis

You can create simple analysis using the Asset Analytics feature in AF. In general, for complex predictive analysis, you will want to feed PI data into a dedicated software and import back to result.

--

Gabriel