11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2017 9:55 AM by Asle Frantzen

Storing legacy tag names

GreenTech

Hi folks,

We are migrating an old historian into PI. The new structure will make use of templates and consistent asset naming (which don't currently exist in either the source system or the legacy historian). Some users however, are quite attached to the old historian convoluted name (which doesn't necessarily mean anything to business users). They have requested a simple way to search for and identify the new tag / element using the old tag name.

Tag search is not so bad - we can put it in the description or extended description etc. and these appear to return quite quickly.
      The main issue is with AF for Datalink and PI Vision.

So far the neatest way I can come up with is to put the legacy tag names as a comma separated list at the end of the element description (attribute descriptions are locked by template I think - unless someone knows a way around that?).

This does work (in Datalink and Pi Vision at least), to locate the element. I haven't tried it with 100k elements to see how well it searches.

The drawback is a slightly messy element description, and the users, once having located their element, must still be able to identify which attribute (hopefully the templates make enough sense to make this simple).

Has anyone faced a similar problem?

Can anyone suggest other options I can put to the users?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
      Rob