8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2017 11:49 AM by gregor

Online Training: Programming in PI Web API Online Course (November 2017) - Introduce Yourself

gregor

Hello registered Learners,

My name is Gregor Beck. I joined OSIsoft almost 12 years ago, worked in Technical Support for many years and am supporting customers, partners and 3rd parties in utilizing our Developer Technologies for more than 5 years now. I am working out of Frankfurt office. 

I will be your facilitator for this Programming in PI Web API small private online course. The workshop starts today, 27-Nov-2017 and will conclude on Friday, 15-Dec-2017.  This gives us a period of approximately 3 weeks to complete the course.

Please find the video lectures and additional information about the course at Programming in PI Web API.

Please post your questions at the Programming in PI Web API discussion forum or send me an email. I will be contacting you by email soon, so you will have my contact details.

Please consider following the forum to avoid missing any updates posted.

Please introduce yourself by responding to this discussion. We mainly like to know who you are, what you do, your expectations and goals for this course but you are welcome to share anything else you would like to share.

As far as my own goals are concerned, I like you to enjoy this course, make sure that you complete it having learned at least the basics developing applications against a PI Web API endpoint. I am aiming to share enough technical knowledge to enable you to follow along and participate in related discussions that happen over in the PI Developers Club. Furthermore, I like to guide you through available tools and resources to allow you growing your skillset continually.

Happy learning and coding

• Re: Online Training: Programming in PI Web API Online Course (November 2017) - Introduce Yourself
          Bhikadiya

Hi, Myself Mukesh Bhikadiya, working as a SME at National Oilwell Varco.

I am more familiar with AF SDK side of the programming, wants to learn PI Web API side of it, specially JSON structure, Batch Query etc.

--- Thanks, MB.

• Re: Online Training: Programming in PI Web API Online Course (November 2017) - Introduce Yourself
            John Messinger

Hi, John Messinger. Currently working as a principal engineer with Optimate, a system integration company in Brisbane, Australia.

I'm a long time PI guy, do most of my software development work with the AFSDK. Looking to sharpen the pencil with PI Web API

John

Bir_Singh

Hi, My name is Bir Singh. I am currently working with Wipro as Senior Consultant in OSI PI area with 8 years of experience in real-time data management field, mainly with Oil&Gas upstream domain. Currently am working on Big Data projects involving PI systems and looking forward to learn & utilize PI Web API programming in that scope. I am familiar with AF SDK programming.

v.alves

Hello everyone! I'm Vinícius Alves, from Belo Horizonte in Brazil (not everyone knows but this is the 3rd biggest city in Brazil, and also the best).

I have been working with Accenture for around 5 years now. During this time I have taken part in several activities related with real time databases, mainly focused on the integration with other systems - so I have learned a little bit about almost all kinds of interfaces. On the OSIsoft stack, I have worked with the PISDK, OLEDB providers and also the Web API.

I really like the Web API because of the flexibility it delivers - there are no software dependencies on the client side. So we have all the freedom possible in choosing the technology for the application, from a simple web page with javascript+HTML to a full stack java or C# system.

My main goal on taking this course is to prepare myself for the PI Application Development Accreditation, which I hope will be released soon

millotp

Hello Everybody,

I am Philippe Millot from France (Lyon city).

I work for CGI, IT services company based in Montréal since 4 years. On PI since 7 years.

I mainly built PI architecture and Advanced AF model for food & beverage compagny , chemist, ... with a lot of batch process.

We used to develop SDK AF solutions.

We need to move to other way of accessing PI data.

PI Web API is one of these solutions. So i need to understand strength and weakness of this approach.

I started video courses and try it Inside our own PI installation.

Philippe

gregor

Dear all,

Thank you for introducing yourselves and for sharing your motivation to attend the Programming in PI Web API online course!

Because you don't ask much questions, I assume all of you are progressing just fine.

Please allow me to encourage you to

• provide your feedback on the exercises. We are mainly interested in your criticism enabling us to improve the content.
                      • ask questions. Please don't be shy. There are only a few people following the Programming in PI Web API space. It is almost as private as in a real classroom.
                      • start discussions. philippe MILLOT made an interesting point. Let me start a discussion about what the strengths and weaknesses of PI Web API are.

We prefer to see discussions at our social platform but you are also welcome to send me a direct message.

Have you read about the Final Project? Do you know what this refers to and what we are asking you for?

Because this is an online course and you practice the exercises at your own convenience, we like to get an idea about your learning success. This is where the Final Project comes into play. It doesn't have to be huge - no, please do not submit a huge project.

We suggest you to define the scope of the application which we ask you to develop during the third and last week of this online course based on what you've learned. You are very welcome to utilize PI Web API Controllers that were not covered with the exercises. We ask you to submit your Final Project on the Friday of week 3. We will review your project and provide you with our feedback e.g. if we see certain things can be done easier, safer or more efficient e.g. by using a bulk call instead of executing multiple queries for multiple data items. When your Final Project indicates that you've learned and can adopt from the exercises we call your participation a success and will offer you a Certificate of Completion for this online course.

You see that the Final Project has some importance. Therefore please do not hesitate involving me into defining your Final Project as some of you have done already.

Sanjeeb

Hi Gregor,

I am Sanjeeb and been working on various OSIsoft PI tools and especially on AF, AF Analytics, PI Vision. Have worked around PI Web API while implementing a Project recently; need to deep dive into tha space. AF SDK is one more area I am interested and need to deep dive as well. Appreciate if you can loop in in all such Trainings and discussions. Thnak you.

Bes Regards,

Sanjeeb

gregor

Hello Sanjeep,

Thank you for introducing yourself and sharing about your experience and interests.

This thread is related to the Programming in PI Web API Online Course (November 2017) which was running from 27-Nov-2017 until 15-Dec-2017.

I have checked the registration for this particular course again to make sure I haven't overlooked something. You were not registered for this course and the course is over.

Thank you for offering your appreciation but each course has an individual course facilitator who is available to answer all questions you may have while participating in a course.

Please don't hesitate to post a clarification just in case I have misunderstood your intentions.