1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 8, 2017 7:45 AM by John Messinger

What are strengths and weaknesses of PI Web API?

gregor

Dear all,

The PI Web API is a great Developer Technology but there are others. Could be that PI Web API is a good fit for some development projects but likely not the one-fits-all solution.

Before starting, or even better, when planning for a new development project, we should have an idea about what technology and what tools we want to use. A good project specification should allow us to asses what requirements must be met and which would be the nice-to-have features. We can use this information, look at available technologies, ideally rate point by point and in the end easily decide for the right technology but this also requires to know what the strengths and weaknesses are with a technology.

Let's start the discussion. Because I've started it, I am allowing myself to go with the most easy pick.

One of the strengths of PI Web API is its platform independence. Http(s) communication is supported by all modern operating systems.

Who picks the next low hanging fruit?  

• Re: What are strengths and weaknesses of PI Web API?
          John Messinger

Exactly. A technology for new projects should be selected based on what best meets the requirements, not on what is currently in vogue. PI Web API is a good choice for software that will run on non-Windows platforms, or where it is not possible to have a locally installed AF client package (like some web servers). For Windows based software, my first choice is always native AFSDK, as it is both performant and is fully supported on modern versions of the platform. We have written an application that requires cross-platform support, so it was developed in Java and uses PI Web API for data access to PI. Right technology for the requirements.

Whilst I am still delving into the PI Web API, my first impression when it came out a couple of years ago was that it was good for 'lite' access to PI data. The functionality has improved the past few releases, but it still isn't as full-featured as the AFSDK (nor should it be). Again, depending on application requirements, choose the technology that best meets those needs.