2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2017 2:04 AM by ebelaski

PI Data Migration Best Practice

ebelaski

Hello PI Community,

I have a data migration use case that I have not seen before and am seeking advice on the best approach.

Please reference the diagram below.

Currently. data has flowed from the plant to the Plant PI server via the PI OPC Interface for the past 10 years.

A second Corporate PI server exists that is collecting data from other sources. We would like to move the historical data in the Plant PI Archive to the Corporate PI Server.

When this data migration is complete the PI OPC interface will be pointed to the Corporate PI server to resume real-time data collection from the plant. The Plant PI server will then be removed.

The tags on the PI Plant server have been created on the Corporate PI server. Currently scan is set to off for these tags. I believe that the Point ID and Recno is not the same for these tags between Plant and Corporate. All PI servers are version 2016.

I have read KB00744 on How to move or merge data for specific PI points.

My questions are:

1. Is KB00744 the best approach in this use case? Assuming about 4000 tags, what would be a rough estimate of the time to move 10 years of data?

2. Is it possible to move the data archives from the Plant PI server to the Corporate PI server?

Thanks for any suggestions.

DataMig.png