12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2012 2:17 AM by Gopal

PI Coresight search finctionality

TonyMathIT

As a part of a large project I am working on we are using AF and proposing the use of Coresight. I have been 'playing' with Coresight and I have a question about the search capablities. At the moment it doesn't appear as if the user can search by the value of an attribute. Is there any way given Coresights current functionality for the user to search by the value of an attribute?

• Re: PI Coresight search finctionality
          skwan

Tony:

Are these static AF values or data references?

TonyMathIT

Steve, they are static.

tlebay

Tony:

Thanks for bringing this question up.  Unfortunately searching on AF values is not available in the current version of PI Coresight.  It is something we have discussed adding.  Can you help me out by explain what you are hoping to accomplish with this kind of search?  If we add this I want to be sure we are solving real problems like yours.

Don't you think that adding data searching to Coresight will slow down the quick visualisation aspects that make Coresight so good?  For example, you can quickly find assets named "Pump 1" but for each of those items (e.g. PI tags) returned by the search facility you could have millions of data events to filter through, which would imply the search facility would have to accommodate a time context (or it gets a bit easier by defaulting to snapshot values).  You would also have an issue if you consider searching across AF custom data references; you couldn't guarantee the performance of the data retrieval.

Just thinking out loud...

skwan

Rhys @ Wipro

Don't you think that adding data searching to Coresight will slow down the quick visualisation aspects that make Coresight so good?  For example, you can quickly find assets named "Pump 1" but for each of those items (e.g. PI tags) returned by the search facility you could have millions of data events to filter through, which would imply the search facility would have to accommodate a time context (or it gets a bit easier by defaulting to snapshot values).  You would also have an issue if you consider searching across AF custom data references; you couldn't guarantee the performance of the data retrieval.

Just thinking out loud...

All good points, hence my question on whether these are static values or data references  

TonyMathIT

Steve, I will try to articulate what we have.

Background
                              Everything is template driven
                              Tag naming remains consistent because of the templatisation and element node naming conventions.
                              Our current AF hierarchy is used to represent multiple sites by system in a consistent manner
                              All leaf elements are assets. On each asset we have 1 to n tags defined.
                              Assets are named according to function e.g. PPa, PPb (where PP is a pump) etc as this is also useful for us with regard to creating new tags
                              On every asset we have an attribute (string datatype) for Asset Serial Number. This attribute is static and NOT a lookup i.e. does not have a data reference

Sample Paths
                              Business -> Site1 -> Unit 01 -> Gas Turbine -> Fuel Systems -> Gas Fuel -> PPa
                                                                                                                                          -> PPb
                                                                                                                                          -> TTa
                                                                                                                                          -> TTb

-> Site2 -> Unit 01 -> Gas Turbine -> Fuel Systems -> Gas Fuel -> PPa
                                                                                                                                          -> PPb
                                                                                                                                          -> TTa
                                                                                                                                          -> TTb
                              The Problem
                              Given our current structure and current coresight search functionality a user cannot find a list of tags if all they know is the asset serial number. What would be nice is if they searched by an asset serial number that the result would return the parent element of the attribute whose value was that asset serial number, much the same as if the search finds an attribute name that matches the search term.

Now I have been careful to note that the Asset Serial Number is static, what would be really nice is if the search were able to find attribute values even if they used a table lookup data reference but this would require some smarts with caching as the potential performance hit could make it unworkable. This would then allow our users to search by other groups for example asset manufacturer (which is one of our attributes).

Steve, I hope that is enough detail to try and understand what we are doing. I have attached a screen shot to show the attributes on one of our asset elements.

6303.AssetAttributes.PNG