4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2012 8:21 PM by RJKSolutions

PI in the "Cloud"

scoxey

Wondering if anyone had thought about some sort of Cloud type service for PI where we could view process data on mobile devices using cloud type technology.  Just tried Onlive's service for gaming and Microsoft desktop.  If you aren't familiar- google it and check it out, but it runs the applications on their servers, and you utilize it via an app on your smartphone, ipad or tablet.  I could see it being extremely useful in this case as well!

• Re: PI in the "Cloud"
          Ahmad Fattahi

OSIsoft is definitely interested and working on both mobile and Cloud technologies for PI System. I don't want to give away or promise any time for the release of such products/services. Tools and applications for mobile platforms may happen before Cloud.

In the meantime, you may want to elaborate more on your requirements? What would you like to see on mobile devices and/or taken to the Cloud? Would you be willing to move your process data to the Cloud?

Lonnie Bowling

Hi Scott,

Welcome to vCampus!  This is a great first post and yes, there has been some talk about this.  It is a very hot topic and I know that OSIsoft is doing some internal evaluation of this technology.

I personally have been doing my own work on this over the last year shared my thoughts at the last conferance, you can see it here:

The Perfect Storm: PI Systems, Cloud Services, and Windows Phone 7

I am continuing my own work and am also working on a blog about this very subject.  Hopefully the first post will be up soon.

I'm really glad you are thinking this way, it is a very exciting topic and I would love to hear your thoughts or ideas!

Lonnie

lgarrigues

Hi Scott,

I'm currently the product manager overlooking our different initiatives related to the Cloud and I can assure you that we will unveil more about our plans at the forthcoming User Conference in San Francisco. Using Cloud technologies (and more specifically Windows Azure) to support mobile devices is one of the directions we are currently investigating but there are others.

I’ve tried the OnLive service/app as well and found it very interesting. There are a variety of RDP like technologies and products that can quickly allow mobile devices to access content created on desktop. We are looking into these as well.

As Ahmad mentioned, I’ll be happy to further exchange with to better understand your needs so do not hesitate to send me an email or to post in this thread.

Laurent

Until we see a distributed PI Server then we won't ever see a true cloud PI Server, and that is just the data collection aspect of a PI System.  I guess we will have to wait until the UC to see what is being done in more detail.  In the past we heard about the security mechanism for the PI Server being overhauled to accommodate running in the cloud, is the UC announcement anything more than that?  For example, are we going to see a PI Server that can have its archives distributed over numerous servers, and analysed using distributed analytics?  A bit like Hadoop & HDFS.

Also, OSIsoft's licensing model is going to need to be modified.  For example, it is pretty much impossible to put a 2 million point PI Server in the cloud and then 'rent out' points to companies that only need small point systems without the cost of the infrastructure.  Point partitioning with a new security model would help there.  Richard Beeson blogged about Claims Based Security 

You can right now use some cloud service providers in a 'Virtual Private Cloud' to ramp up PI Servers (license permitting) for data acquisition, aggregation, ... even replicating corporate AD to the VPC to authenticate to/from the corporate domain/VPC.  This actually seems to work well.  What this lacks is the front end service to mask the underlying network of PI Servers.