3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2017 8:10 AM by dcho

Can i configure the 2017sp1 Notification to send the SMS email with a parameter [Email subject=phone number]?

TRafaely

Hi All

My customer has replaced the SMS provider.

The old provider settings were:

Now, with the new provider i need to send To Email: 888@sms.multisend.co.il [same for all contacts]

and add the Subject: phone number

Can i add the subject parameter in the String (syntax?) ?

Thank you

Tal

• Re: Can i configure the 2017sp1 Notification to send the SMS email with a parameter [Email subject=phone number]?
          Kenji Hashimoto

For sending SMS, there is a KB.

KB00294 - How do I set up PI Notifications to send text messages to my cellular phone

https://techsupport.osisoft.com/Troubleshooting/KB/KB00294/

There are 2 options.

1 Use email delivery endpoint to send emails to carrier's SMS gateway.

2 Use web service delivery endpoint to contact SMS web service.

I think your company use 1 option.

Your requirement is set Subject: phone number.

Subject: comes from Notification Rules tab > Subscriptions > Manage Formats

If you create new format, then you can specify it.

It allows attribute values etc... but I believe we could not set it from contacts information.

I believe your previous system also should had some settings for it.

Please check it first.

• Re: Can i configure the 2017sp1 Notification to send the SMS email with a parameter [Email subject=phone number]?
              TRafaely

Thank u Kenji

The Customer organization uses today another system for sending messages [UCME OPC plus an SMS provider].

They are new to PI Notification.

I am familiar with the Manage Format option(s) in the PI Notification.

They would like to use PI Notification and we are checking all options.

The Subject is a contact person cell phone ! so i assume that it means building hundreds of Formats [per person] and that is not a good idea.

Their IT engineer says that they use the email subject as a parameter that holds the contact person cell phone ( mail to sms)

Tal

dcho

If the send to e-mail supports comma delimited phone numbers, you can potentially reference an attribute (or sub-attribute) that holds the phone numbers to send text messages to and use this as a parameter in the notification template. Once this is done, you can then have it be linked to one delivery channel (sending e-mails to the e-mail in question).

If there is a requirement to have one e-mail per phone number, it may be slightly difficult to do this with notifications, but I can see this being possible in a similar manner to the above. However, this would also mean that the number of notification rules that you have would equal the number of users that need to receive the SMS. It might be easier to manage it this way since you can use PI Builder to export all of the notification rules, but it may get hard to maintain.

The third strategy that I can think of is to make a web service that can take the phone number as a parameter and then have the web service send the e-mails out. This would require some custom coding though, so I would say that this could be used as a last resort.

2 of 2 people found this helpful