3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2018 4:53 PM by kduffy

PI SQL Commander hangs when trying to connect to AF Server

eradwan

Hi There,

The PI SQL Commander Lite programs works fine with ODBC data source, I can see the catalogs of the AF Server and can also retrieve data. However, when I try to connect to AF Server from the menu, the program hangs as in the screenshot. I selected the 'Debug option' when prompted by Windows and the error is in the other screen shot. Any idea why I'm getting this error? It's also makes the Transpose Function Wizard not available.

• Re: PI SQL Commander hangs when trying to connect to AF Server
          kduffy

Hi Emad,

Do you have PI OLEDB installed on this machine, or just PI ODBC? In your screenshot of the object explorer, I only see ODBC Data Sources, but not OLEDB Data Sources.

I believe that the Query > Connection > Connect to AF Server option in the menu is making an OLEDB connection to that data source, but if you don't have PI OLEDB Enterprise installed on this machine then that will fail. PI ODBC, on the other hand, uses the PI SQL Data Access Server to connect to the AF server, and this PI SQL DAS service could be on a separate machine. That would explain one reason why this menu option fails but the ODBC connection works.

Does this match your scenario?

Kelsey

3 of 3 people found this helpful
              eradwan

Hello Kelsey,

Yes, this matches my scenario. On the other hand, the machine that has the PI ODBC has access only to the AF server but not the PI Archive for security issues, and I can query assets and data and the only missing thing as far as I know was the 'transposing' functions / tables. When I tried to install OLE Enterprise on the same PC, it is asking for the Archive server as mandatory to continue installation which I don't have access to; is there a way around this?

Emad

kduffy

Hi Emad,

You should be able to put in anything for the PI data archive name during the installation, and then it will proceed. With the way that our SDKs work, there needs to be something for the default data archive, so the Known Servers Lists can't be empty; however, this default pi server does not need to be connectable at all times.

For transpose function definitions, all configuration is stored in the AF config database so you shouldn't need to connect to the data archive for these to succeed.

Also, since this thread is marked as answered, it may help to create a new thread if you have any further questions, that way it gets more visibility.

Kelsey

1 of 1 people found this helpful