saxyogi

PrevEvent and PrevVal functions

Discussion created by saxyogi on Jan 26, 2012
Latest reply on Mar 3, 2014 by mhamel

Hi Guys,

I am trying to read a tag's previous value and associated time stamp. Business requirement is to find if a tag's value is constant/stale for a configurable time period (let’s assume 30 mins, this is user configurable threshold and is being configured in ModuleDb property). In my code (please refer Complete listing of function provided below) I am using ExeTime to set current time in ACE (I am not sure if it is right way of doing though I followed a few other posts.).

I have two questions:

Q1: Why am I getting previous, current value and associated time stamps always same in debug mode (please refer following two lines of code taken from overall function listing.)?

prevTimeStamp = tag.PrevEvent(currentTimeInUTCSeconds) ' I was hoping it to get time stamp associated with previous value but in fact it gives me current time stamp

preValue = tag.PrevVal(currentTimeInUTCSeconds) ' To get previous value

currValue = tag.Value(currentTimeInUTCSeconds) ' To get currenet value

Q2: What is the difference between ExeTime and "*" if I use them in ACE? Or in other words what is the difference between following two function calls?

tag.PrevVal("*")

tag.PreVal(ExeTime)

Thanks and Regards,

Yogendra

Complete listing of function.

Private Function CheckIfDataIsStale(ByVal tag As PIACEPoint) As Boolean

Dim prevTimeStamp As PITime

Dim preValue As Double

Dim currValue As Double

Dim prevTimeInUTCSeconds As Double

Dim currentTimeInUTCSeconds As Double

currentTimeInUTCSeconds =ExeTime 'Actually this gets passed as a parameter by calling function and I am setting this as ExeTime

prevTimeStamp = tag.PrevEvent(currentTimeInUTCSeconds) ' I was hoping it to get time stamp associated with previous value

prevTimeInUTCSeconds = prevTimeStamp.UTCSeconds

Try

preValue = tag.PrevVal(currentTimeInUTCSeconds) ' To get previous value

currValue = tag.Value(currentTimeInUTCSeconds) ' To get currenet value

'StaleDataTimeLimitInSeconds is user defined number and currently defined as ModuleDb property

If (currentTimeInUTCSeconds - prevTimeInUTCSeconds) >= StaleDataTimeLimitInSeconds Then 'Prev time is out of time limit threshold

If (preValue = currValue) Then

Return True

Else

Return False

End If

'Prev time is within the time limit threshold, if this value is equal to current value then get one more prev value to make sure that data is stale 

ElseIf (currentTimeInUTCSeconds - prevTimeInUTCSeconds) < StaleDataTimeLimitInSeconds Then 

CheckIfDataIsStale(tag, prevTimeInUTCSeconds) 'Using recursion to execute same function

End If

Catch ex As Exception

LogPIACEMessage(OSIsoft.PI.ACE.MessageLevel.mlUserMessage, ModuleName + ": CheckIfDataIsStale: " + ex.InnerException.Message, Context)

Throw ex

End Try

End Function

Outcomes