4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2018 2:55 PM by DanielPesch

PI vision and Process Book

DanielPesch

Hi everyone...

I have 5 pi servers in North America. Currently I have implemented 1 PI vision installation (more to come). I have a PB file on the web page server that shows up for viewing in PI vision and requests data from each of the PI data servers. The PB file shows data for the local pi server but no data for the other 4 PI servers. My question is can it be done? if so how, if not why not?

I'm not a pro at PI but old dog can learn...

Thanks, Daniel

• Re: PI vision and Process Book
          rschmitz

Hi Daniel,

This is definitely do-able! First thing I would check is when viewing the Processbook file in Processbook on the machine running PI Vision, does data show up for all the Data Archives? If it does, then we know we can connect, authenticate and pull data from all of these Data Archives and it's likely just a matter of making sure the PI Vision service has permissions to those Data Archives as well.

If the Processbook file isn't capable of rendering data for all of those Archives on the PI Vision box, then I would check is that you can reach all of the Data Archives from the PI Vision node by either ping, telnet, TCPport connect in Powershell because if we can't even reach the machines there's no way we can get data from them. This can be tricky is all of the your Data Archives are on different domains and you may need to work with your IT to get this set up.

The next thing to look at after we know the PI Vision box can see the Data Archives is security. Does the PI Vision service have either a trust or mapping with permission to view data on those points?

Cheers,

Rob

DanielPesch

Thank you for your help...

Yes, PB works for all clients at any plant so long as I give them a trust... I looked at the service login name and created a trust for it (just now) at a 2nd plant location. I added the account as a regular trust account and it did not seem to work.. Both servers are on the same domain.

rschmitz

When viewing the Processbook display in a browser, do you see a connection in SMT > Network Manager Statistics from the PI Vision Server to that 2nd plant location? If you do, then it may be a permissions issue for the identity that you gave the PI Vision Service. If not, do you see any connection attempts in the message logs on that 2nd plant's server?

1 of 1 people found this helpful