2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2018 11:48 AM by AdrianPD

PI System Explorer very slow when adding a reference to another element

AdrianPD

This is what I did:

1. Create an element with no template (that may not be important)

2. Create a second element (also happens to be without a template)

3. Add an extended property to the second template

4. Configure that extended property to be a reference to another element and choose the first element you created

When you try to close the dialog, it will  not close and will show "Extended Properties (Not Responding)" in the dialog's banner

From this point on, things are very slow. Eventually (5 minutes) you will see a dialog saying "The request operation ... did not receive a reply within the configured timeout (00:05:00)"

If you try to uncheckout the change you made (adding the elements and the extended property), it will take a long time to respond as well and eventually display the dialog as shown above. The second or third time you try to uncheckout, it will eventually succeed and performance will go back to normal

• Re: PI System Explorer very slow when adding a reference to another element
          klum

Hi Adrian,

I have not encountered this issue before, and I tried to follow your steps but did not get the same performance issue. For the system I am testing on, it is all on the local machine - both SQL and PI AF Server is running on the same machine and I'm using the PI System Explorer on the same machine as well. Also, I am assuming in Step 3, you meant the second element instead of the second template since both elements were created without a template.

What version of PI System Explorer, AF Server and SQL Server are you using?

Are you working from a new/clean database? I am wondering if the database you are working on has a lot of elements and hierachy of elements as this might also affect the performance.